Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WORST DEAL EVAR!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Mar 11, 2005.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I had plenty of music experiance when I first started bass- but I really didn't know a difference between a pup and a frett when I first started playing.

Before I even test drove one (or went to talk bass or even asked anyone who played bass) I bought my first axe off of ebay. It was a new Hamer. It looked really cool- was a great purple color. Had two pups (later I learned they were MM style) and it was only $600! What a deal! :help:

A year and a half later I own 2 basses that are five times the instrument the hamer is and cost me $100 less. Thanks to TB and some patience I was able to get some great deals. Hindsight is 20/20 but I really did a poor job of checking my resources and asking around.

I advise people now to buy something used or to go with an SX for their first bass or guitar. You can easily get an excelent midlevel bass for under $300 if you take your time and shop around.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wish I had TB around when I started playing-or even had it a couple years after I started.

I paid $200 for a used Moridira P/MM for my first bass. It's quality was pretty much on an equal ratio with how recognizable its name was-none and none.

A year later, I wanted my first five-string. I got the only one that I could find for under $800-a Samick, and I paid $500 for it. At the time I didn't realize that $500 was the list price, and I was paying the full list price for it rather than the $300 street price it should have been.

I've more than made up for it in the seven years since though by getting great deals and equipment that's the best value for the money through TalkBass.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly I've never gotten any stinkers. But I like readin yours ;)

4. Back when I was young(er) and stupid, I shelled out 200 clams for a Rogue-RB 200 Bass head. They sell new for $150. Not only was it a bad deal, it was a Rogue.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Once I bought a Peavey T-40 for a hundred bucks and played it for a year. I still think I didn't get my money's worth. :rollno: