1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worst Ever Bass/Amp Set Up You Will Admit To Owning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    35EEEB96-E7A2-4D08-8C34-22B5094A9542. 946EE7DF-1B7A-4F41-AC1F-F4C8C64723B7. 6C25B711-7F6E-4525-91A9-DE0950408B64.

The current thread on a home made 18” bass speaker cabinet got me thinking back, way back, to my worst ever bass and amp set up.

I was young and played rock and jazz in many bands at the time. We are talking about 1975, and my hair was down my back. I actually used this set up for gigging.

Ok here goes nothing....
    I cannot imagine a worst combination of bass gear:

‘60s Gibson EB2
    Furman Parametric EQ
    Acoustic 140 head
    18” Bass Speaker in a home made cabinet

The Gibson is short scale with the mudbucker pickup. The Furman EQ was so confusing you had to be Einstein to figure it out, which I never did. But I still took it to the gigs. It was also expensive. The Acoustic 140 head was ok, but nothing compared to my later 370. The speaker was just the worst bass speaker for live playing ever. Live I could never hear a note, just big dumb woof sounds.

I do recall a drummer asking me, live while playing, why my bass sounded so ‘#@*$&)’ bad.

Some how this combination of gear is unbelievably distasteful. Perhaps each item on it’s own is ok. Apologies to anyone who owns these items. I just pulled photos similar of what I had off the internet. Nobody had a bass cabinet as ugly as mine was, could not find a similar picture so you will have to use your imagination.

Wow this stuff was ...bad. How about yours?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    My first bass was a short scale (well, it was pretty much a "mini" bass all around) Artist paired with a Peavey 30 watt combo. The amp was actually a decent piece of equipment but the bass was terrible. Last time I checked I wasn't able to find any information on this particular bass company (made in China or Taiwan from what I recall) and that's probably just as well.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Line 6 Pod (early kidney bean one)
    Peavey CS800
    Peavey 15" PA speaker

:vomit:

I had gone broke for a short time right after divorcing my first wife. It's all I had to work with after selling off my good gear.

My grandfather took pity on me and loaned me the money to get a good rig. (I played for a living at the time.) So an SWR SuperRedhead (new) with a Triad cab (used) was next up in the batting order. The tone of the SWR was boring. But that rig took a beating (literally hundreds of gigs) and lived to tell about it.

JC Nelson and hintz like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    y6wcd0buhmi2tnlopv2b. jnmgnrcobjc9csexhiuf.
    Not the exact violin bass but close enough through a 35w 2x12 guitar amp. Each good on it's own.

I finally sold the amp to the guitar player. Duh!

He picked up the foot pedal to access the effects. Sounded pretty good with his Fender Mustang.

I went on to buy a slightly used Kustom 200 and cab(2x15 JBL D140s)and a mint '63 Hofner. Now that was a great setup.:thumbsup:

Sold those to fund a Sunn 2000 with cab and a '64 Fender Jazz. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    When I first started playing bass around 1979 I had a Riviera bass going into a Bogen PA amp into a Kustom silver sparkle tuck and roll 1x15 cab. The cab was pretty cool and I wish I still had it. The other two pieces were horrible.

6. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I got a pretty cheap looking tele bass knock off and a carvin mb10 that needs to be taken out back and shot at... I practice through it most days.

zoonose likes this.
  7. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Haha! I also had an Eko, not a violin shape but kinda a copy of the EB2.

We ended up torching it in a fireplace during a crazy weekend (teenagers have no respect). Hey John Deacon, Queens original bassist, played an Eko in the early days of the band. Then he discovered Fender.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Gunga Din and dawind99 like this.
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Not including those times when I was so destitute I didn't have a bass amp at all, and so played through a guitar amp -- or worse, those times when I was destitute and an idiot and so didn't have a bass amp or a bass at all, and so played "basslines" on a guitar through a guitar amp -- the worst rig I ever had to suffer through that was not some venue-provided backline was the monstrosity I cobbled together for my senior recital at Berklee in 1982.

Just prior to that performance I had been gigging with a Polytone MiniBrute III for small jobs, and a Sunn Model T into an Ampeg V4B 2x15" cabinet for the loud rock gigs. My recital band was a 4-piece (guitar, bass, keys, drums) playing reasonably loud fusion/prog/weirdness, so my plan was to bring the big Sunn/Ampeg rig.

But literally the day before my recital the MIT Campus Police raided the recording studio where my rock band rehearsed and confiscated all the equipment (!) due to some bureaucratic snafu that ultimately resulted in our permanently losing access to that studio (but eventually getting our equipment back). Since I wasn't an MIT student they wouldn't release my amp to me, and the red tape nightmare took over a week to resolve. Meanwhile, I'm looking at my little PolyTone amp going "there's no way this is gonna cut it for tomorrow night."

So I begged, borrowed, and stole a Frankensteinian smorgasbord of amps and speakers from 3 or 4 different friends/associates: I wound up with my Polytone MiniBrute III plugged into a Peavey Black Widow 15" extension cabinet, plus an old Bogen 100 watt tube PA amp driving a decrepit Marshall 1960B 4x12" guitar cabinet. It sounded like ...well, better than nothing.

SaltLamp, GregC, Nefarius696 and 5 others like this.
  9. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Did you get the Line 6 Pod because it was portable. :roflmao:

2tonic and JC Nelson like this.
  10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    8AE2DF85-BD92-4B32-8020-60E6454DD617_zpswdckhcar.
    Not my picture, but I had one just like this in the mid-late 70s.
    Don't even ask.

11. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Kustom 8, mixed into a squier 10w starter pack guitar amp. Lows and highs. It worked really well having the OD switch on the squire. Kinda like having the blend knob on most pedals. Punk rock baby

12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    My brother got a crappy Kay EB0/SG type bass out of a mail order catalogue. It was bloody awful (funny thing is, I see them now listed as "vintage MIJ" for decent money), which I used.
    I scrounged a Carlsbro bass amp (it had some macho name, cobra, stingray, hugeplonker!) I don't even remember where from and a PA bass bin with a 15" speaker I think. It was horrible.

c6278c6a81411a9e22372ec980ec5cb5.
    carlsbro-stingray-bass-head-l.

JC Nelson, Chickenwheels and Mr_Moo like this.
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Godin p/j bass of some sort. Can't recall the model. Horrible bass. Got it from MF. Sent it back the next day!

14. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    My first rig was:
    One of these (except white)
    711303_Hagstrom_HII_bass_fullfront_webb_250_400.
    Paired with one of these:
    s-l16002.
    I soon upgraded to my '69 Jazz Bass (still have), and '69 SVT (wish I still did)

Edit: I dimly recall plugging that gawdawful Hagstrom into my parent's stereo console with a really questionable 1/4" cable a time or two before acquiring the Yamaha amp. Doubtful that it added to the speakers longevity. Iirc, it looked something like this:
    record-player-open_2.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  15. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Sorry no pics. Ventura Jazz bass copy, with flats and humbuckers, thru an old Alamo 85W tube guitar amp head thru matching2x12 cabinet. Serviceable bass noises considering it never went above about 10 o'clock on volume. Stupid loud with the guitar though.

16. Wes K

Wes K

Apr 30, 2011
    Louisville KY
    Great thread idea.

My worst sounding setup was probably a Modulus Q6 + Yorkville head, 410 cab and 115 cab. I can't remember the model numbers for the Yorkville gear. The bass wasn't exactly what most would consider "crappy", but it really didn't work for me. I had previously had some issues with a warped bass neck, so I figured something with a composite neck would be best. I guess I had to have one to realize that I hate the sound of graphite necks. The amp - it was just crappy. But maybe in someone else's hands it would have sounded great. Different strokes I guess.

17. ELG60,
    My first (ok, only) bass lessons were at an authorized Yamaha dealer in town. I would have loved to have your rig in the late '70s! No pics but a Traynor YBA-1 with a Jensen 2x12 cabinet with blue sparkly cover . My first bass was a Simpson-Sears medium-scaled bass.

ELG60 likes this.
  18. My first rig was a used Kay amp with a single 12" speaker and a beat up used Kingston bass. Two hours after buying them I was playing my first gig. Three Kingsman songs. Thank God for C-F and G.

19. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    That best describes my experience with the SWR combo I had, just plain boring. I can't remember the name but it was a combo amp, I had a very nice SVT2 (non pro) at the time but wanted something lighter and smaller so I had both. I couldn't get a lively sound outta it no matter how I eq'd it, it had this dry honkey midrange that sounded like garbage though it was plenty loud. I ran a Sansamp through it to try and get a decent sound. The worst that I didn't own was a Markbass I played through in school, had this same nasty midrange

The worst bass I ever owned was the Gibson "Blackbird". It wasn't because of sound mind you, the neck felt great too. No, it was terribly unbalanced to the point of being unplayable live. I moved the front strap pin but that did little good so I sold it. Keep in mind I own a few right now that aren't the best balanced but this Gibson was by far the worst. Had I know at the time about moving the rear pin, that might've made a difference but I'll never know since I sold it after about a year of trying to get used to my left hand cramping up.

two fingers likes this.
  20. Lol! I had a Carlsbro Cobra 90watt combo. It made a sound and I could move it by myself (I was 12).

DJ Bebop and devnulljp like this.