Worst Gig Ever

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Whitmore, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    So me and my band are all pumped to go out to a local battle of the bands. We wanted to go there to beat this one band who are constantly trying to make us look bad a all that jazz. We have done it before so we wanted to do it again just to shut them up. So we get there we are fourth to play right. So we go up to do soundcheck before we play and my guitarists brand new Marshall half stack just doesnt work. Bought like 2 weeks before so we didnt think he should have a problem. Oh well we take it in stride and we decide we will play our songs that only have one guitar player (we have two guitarists). First song goes along fine in fact went amazing because we were playing wiht more intensity as we are mad about the marshall. Second song into our 4 song set starts and 5 seconds later silence... other guitarists brand new Peavey JSX half stack stops working. Needless to say we just got off stage as nobody offered up their amps so we could finish. Here is where it gets ironic we get all drums and the peavey offstage and low and behold the marshall comes back to life. We couldnt wrap our heads around it so as you can assume we didnt place but i would have to say it was the worst gig we have ever played. On a sidenote the marshall is functioning without problems since and the peavey was returned to the shop and shop ordered a new one. More irony about the Peavey now... i guess the factory or the warehouse of it got trashed in Katrina so he is renting a Peavey Triple X and is not happy with it at all and a new JSX isnt going to arrive for a while. All in all worst experience ever but we will just go back next year and destroy all hopefully. Keep on Rocking :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  2. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I was playing with the tulane jazz combo for this big-deal concert for the president and a bunch of important people. We got on stage just about on time and get ready to play when the guitar amp (university property) doesn't work. The tech-guy says its a blown fuse and that he can get a new one in a couple minutes. The guy in charge tells us we have to start right now, and I tell the guitar play to fake it (its a semi-acoustic anyway) but he just sat there with a pissed off look talking about how "f***ing ridiculout this is, etc. etc.," for the whole first two tunes. I'm pretty sure the audience could hear everything he was saying, it was pretty embarrassing.

Anyway, yeah, stuff happens . . .
  3. It rained at a gig and some guitarist forgot to cover his vintage '60s amp.

Too bad. :scowl:
  4. We had a gig out in the middle of nowhere, and when we rigged and did soundcheck this rather hefty water pump was on.
    When it came gig time someone who was afraid the juice wouldn't cover both the pump, the PA and lights shut off the pump.
    No hefty pump meant lots of more Amperes for the amps.

That was our loudest gig ever, and we only found out afterwards.
    Apparantly it was totally impossible to even come near the PA speakers...
    We thought they didn't really like our music.