Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst Gig in long time....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Sanctum, Apr 7, 2002.

1. We had our worst gig in a long time last night. Traveled 120 miles to central Missouri to play at a large club in a college town. When I arrived, the sound guy proceeded to tell me just how many speakers were blown in the PA system, and that he would only be mic'ing the drums and vocals. No mic or direct out on the bass, no mics on the guitar rigs. Hmmm, and also ZERO monitors on stage ....

So we all had to turn up very loud, nobody could hear any vocals at all, stage volume was ungodly. Running through the set, our vocalist/guitar player is getting mad cause he's straining his voice cause he cant hear himself, then he knocks the cord out of his stomp box a couple of times, rendering his guitar inoperable. During the last song he kicks and launches his whole pedal board off the stage.

We made a grand total of $68 :oops: A saturday night in a large college town and this place only pulled 44 paying customers.

then as we were loading out in the alley, a car was stuck behind our van - the guy was like "move" we're like "uh, we're trying" and then he shows us the gun in his lap. fun fun.

Positive things: regardless of other threads bashing Ampeg SVTIII pro's, my rig was plenty loud and punchy.
    we played tight music despite the lack of monitors and being able to hear vocals. we got free beer. it wasnt raining. nobody got shot. and did i mention the $68?

Just had to vent.

Greg

2. Man... I'm speechless.

Well, at least there was beer...

3. yea well, i'm the only one in the band that doesnt drink, heh.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    total suckage.

5. Damn bro, that sucks. I wish I would have known a fellow TBer was going to be in Columbia. I would have come out and supported! I haven't really been to any shows in this town for the couple years I've been here, because all I ever see are pop-punk bands playing.

Anyway man, don't let it get you down too much.

6. na its all part of the band life ;)

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I had a similar situation a few weeks ago.. Except the speakers weren't blown. The guy running sound was just a jerk, I've never liked this cat... really stuck on his own butt. Well.. The guitarist and I had to just play out of our amps... Well Everything went great, got a huge response... but the sound wasn't what it should have been... oh well. you have your good and bad days...

8. yea but you know it sucks because the sound guy gets paid before the bands do - whether he did a great job or a s**t job. unless you can afford to travel with your own soundman, and then have the club LET your soundman run sound, its all a crap shoot, at least when going to new places.

BTW, I"m not bashing soundmen, we've had plenty of great and cooperative ones - its more the clubs fault for having a POS PA in the first place.

9. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    ***Only made $68 with 44 paying customers***

You should charge more than $1.5454 per person.

10. For future reference, seeing that I could feasibly play in Columbia at some point, what club was it?
    And if you are playing south of St. Louis at any point make an announcement on here and I'll come check ya out.

11. uh, i don't run the cover charges at clubs we play at, do you? and your math is way off dude, it was 44 x $3 divided by two bands, which is like $66. so with your math i hope you never charge at the doors where we play :p

It was East Side Live in Columbia. I think it can be a good place to play when and if they fix their PA system.

Greg

12. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Well, mine wasn't that bad but pretty out there.

A few years back, I got a gig for my 4 month old band (DOWNSHIFT) up in Sacramento (2 hour drive) at this Pizza place (which will remain nameless). The guy who put it on had came up to me after a local show and told us how rad he thought the band was and that he was doing a show. No problem. He said we would make some $$ and get some free pizza. Cool. We weren't doing this for money anyway but it's cool to at least get gas money.

We pull up to the place and go inside. We're playing in a side room with a little stage. Looks cool. First off, where is the PA? None. OK Great. Let's set up, maybe one of the other bands is bringing one. Then we discovered that there wasn't enough plugs for the bass and guitar amps. Wonderful. Add to that the fact that we had to go across the street to get an adapter because one of the plugs was the two prong type! This is getting better by the minute. We decide to play anyway and run the vocals through my bass amp (along with the bass). The promoter didn't bother to rent a PA. It sounded like crap, of course but we got through the set.

After that we discovered that we didn't get free pizza and to add insult to injury, the promoter tells us that he only broke even on the door so we get zero $$ for playing the show!!

Needless to say we were pissed and never played any shows there ever again. Live and learn.:confused: :mad:

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There are some solutions to these probs. I'm playing a gig today. Here's the deal. We get paid before we set up. No prob. We use our own PA (the big one ... it's outdoors). No prob. We get free food and drink. No? OK, we're done. No prob.

That's the beauty of being a (good) hobby band. People want us, they play by our rules. If not, get another band. I've still got enough income for beans and dogs. It rules. We took our lumps from anal club owners 25 years ago. Experience and guile win out every time.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ive never had such problems, probly because i'm so anal i want it all perfect. i'm the sound man. my brother (And tech for the whole band) palys a bass line with the band while i go setup the sound. Then i have my bro handle it from there, i tell him "If anything starts sqeeling like hell, turn that knob down a smitch". I also make sure we are payed before, nto after a gig, and if they pay you on how much THEY get paid, thats a bum deal, they higherd YOU, lets not forget. So, far, 50 gigs in my life, and only one was half way bad.