worst gig injuries

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Eric M, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    Lets hear some experiencies with gig-related injuries.
    I think I have the grandaddy of them all.

Around 1987-88, my band finished playing an early bar gig, so we went down the street to another bar to see a friend's band. Hung out and caught their last set. While tearing down his gear at the end of the night, the drummer was talking to a distractingly beautiful woman. As he talked to her, he took his drum seat pad off its base. Spoke to her some more, then went to sit down on his throne to take his snare off, forgetting he already took off the seat pad.

He was wearing spandex (hey, it was the 80's . . .). Really plopped down hard. He ripped his . . . um . . . NUT-SACK open on the exposed hardware stick of his drum throne. Blood everywhere, and he had to be taken away by ambulance.

Every time I played at that bar after that, I always had to stop and look at the blood stain on the drum riser.

Also heard about, but didn't see, another incident involving the same band a few years earlier, where the guitar player was severely shocked during sound check when he placed his hands on his guitar strings and attempted to adjust his mic. There was apparently a severe ground problem with the way the PA was attached to the 220, and he was thrown backwards with an audible 'crack'. Again, ambulance was called, but he was OK although he passed on playing the gig.
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Dude, that was a totally gross story!:) I know it's not funny----but I gotta laugh!!

Can you imagine the pain???!!???
  3. My band was playing a gig about a year and a half ago at a bar, the stage is about 4 feet off the ground. We were doing our last song, which culminates in a pretty intense jam, and our guitar player jumps up on the bass drum, stands there playing for a few chords, and then jumps backward off it. He either landed wrong or on something slippery, 'cause he went tumbling backwards off the stage. The front vocal monitors broke his fall, but he wound up on the floor with some bruises. The real victim was his guitar, which wound up with the neck snapped clean off!
  4. BassDudeJake

Jul 26, 2000
    man, I pitty the drummer! imagin the pain!
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I can't compete with that first story...thank God! My worst stage injury was more funny than painful. I was playing in some small bar in Wisconsin, and the stage was one of those diagonal corners at the front. I took a wrong step, and went flying off the front, fell onto an empty glass, and was wedged between the wall and the stage. I sitting there in a pile of broken glass (no cuts, luckily), playing all the while, and some drunk comes up and polishes my boots.
    The only other real injury was standing too close to the fire boxes, and getting showered with burning embers; it put about 50 pinholes in my shirt.
  6. Mine was six years ago.
    We were just about to get up to start the first set and I, already being on stage noticed the PA, for some reason wasn’t turned back on. With my Warwick Thumb on, I squeezed around the drums to our guitarists side (it was very dark) stepped on his Fx pedals and fell three feet off stage. There was an uproar of laughter from the audience, (well it must have looked funny) and I tried to put on a brave face and laugh it off. All I could think of was that I must save my bass.
    Boy, did I feel an idiot. It also hurt. Still, I managed to save my Warwick by raising it in the air as high as I could as I fell. Also managed to play two sets.
    By the end of the gig my foot was very painful and swollen and although I managed to drive home I had to crawl to my front door from the car.
    The next morning I had to be taken to hospital and found that I had two broken bones in my foot and a badly torn ankle. I had crutches for a month, then a stick for a few months and it was over a year until I stopped limping. Ok now though.
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Well after all these stories, you can just rock me to sleep tonight! OUCH!
  8. Xeo

Aug 21, 2000

Oh the pain
    I was at a party where this band was playing, and there was this mosh in front of them. Any way, I was sitting back enjoying everyone bounce into each other, when this moron run up from behind the mosh, launches himself over the top, flies through the air, hits the vocals guy in the head and knocks him out. The both of them landed on the bass drum and the guy who jumped was in hospital for compressed vertebrae... yummy...

I personally injured myself once when trying a flea cartwheel while intoxicated (and NOT nude). I fell over and my bass landed on my head.
  9. I've had a couple interesting ones.

Once I was playing a rehearsal with a jazz group at a church. It was summer and it was hot. I went to open a window. I had my bass neck in my left hand, fingers across the strings, and the bass was plugged into an old Fender Bassman amp. I grabbed the metal handle to open the latch on the window, which completed the circuit since the ground switch was thrown the wrong way on the amp. ZAP!!!!! BAM!!!!! BOOM!!!!! Wow! That was weird. I stood there for a moment looking for wires hooked up to the window frame! :) It is a good thing to have well grounded equipment.

Another time while heading to a rehearsal with that same group, I was hit by a car while trying to cross the street walking. It threw me about 10-15 feet. I got up and collected my sheet music which was now strewn across the intersection and told the guy I was fine and continued to rehearsal. Luckily, I had broken a string on my bass the day before and was not carrying it. The director was stunned when I told him why I was late. "Oh, I got hit by a car on the way here." "WHAT!?!?" I was OK.

Here's another. I was playing a gig at a party. We were set up outside. About the second song, someone knocked into my amp and the 2x15 speaker cab, which was on top of some crates, fell flat on its face, right behind me. Good thing I was far enough away from it. That would've hurt. But I still got hurt later. You see, someone who was not thinking had placed the beer keg right underneath an apple tree. This gave the drunken jock dorks a limitless supply of fun projectiles. So I'm up there jamming away and something hits me in the hip. I thought someone had puched me from behind and I turned around but there was no one there. Weird, I thought. I was in the middle of a song so went back to playing. A moment later something hit the drum set behind me. "What was that?" I thought. Next verse coming up and I step up to the mic to sing. Midway through the verse a big apple slams me right in the throat. I used all of my self control to keep from chucking my bass and jumping into the crowd to pummel whoever had done it. Others later beat and booted the offenders from the party once discovered. That was a fun gig. At least I met my wife there!

One more. At The Thirsty Whale in Chicago. Now it's gone. But when it was there, there was a like 10 foot wide section of the stage that extended out from the main part of the stage. Across the corner intersection of these pieces of the stage was a large floor monitor. But there was a small trangle shaped gap between the corner and the speaker. While in midsong, I stepped forward to the edge of the stage and stepped right into the hole. My entire leg disappeared into the hole as I fell. I nearly broke my leg! But I was able to stumble back up, shake it off, and continue the gig.

Hmmm. It's all coming back to me. So I'll have to mention this one more. At a party we threw at my guitarist's apartment clubhouse, we did a big jam. Beer was flowing and I had got pretty drunk. We were ending a cover of Metallica's Seek and Destroy when I stepped backwards. I stepped right on my EQ pedal on the floor which flipped on its side sending me off balance. I then proceeded to tumble backwards right into my amp. Me, my bass, and my amp all proceeded to fall into the drumset. I took out half the set and my cab put a huge hole in the wall and I laid there in the middle of this pile of gear holding my Ric up above me, saving it from harm. What a way to end the song! It was time for the band to take a break anyway. :)

I hope you enjoyed my embarrassment!
  10. ashers27

Aug 24, 2000
    i feel sure i will be fried by my amp, such is its age. i make sure i turn it on with a wooden stick to be on the safe side.
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You guys have had or have seen such horrible things that my incidents seem like nothing.

One time I was carrying a lot of stuff after a rehearsal and to save time I draped a keyboard stand over my shoulders. It wasn't balanced and part of it flew up , whacking me in the mouth! It hurt so bad and gave me a really thick lip. But I kind of liked that thick lip (except for the pain) because it made me look younger! LOL!

Another time, my band was the opening act at a history of rock concert. My band was the blues band, because we were demonstarting "rock's roots." Several bands played and they all had their ampd and gear on that satge...whiich was, by the way, in a fire trap venue and my biggest nightmare was for fire to break out.

In the middle of out third song, an amp/speaker combo, not mine, directly behind me burst into flames. My worst nightmare. Anyway, roadies and techs crawled over equipment and all the junk on stage to put out the fire and we kept playing, but I was so scared that everything would go up. Thank heavens it didn't, but the acrid smoke hung over the stage the rest of the set.

I've been pretty lucky compared to you guys especially that unlucky drummer.

Jason Oldsted
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Worst thing that happened to me:

The band before the one I'm working with now was doing at 2-niter at a club in Houston. We were loading in for the first nite (long story, but it was SUPPOSED to be an indoor gig, one setup, one tear down, 2 nites.....wasn't, the agent that booked us was a lying sack of...), and while pulling one of our 2X18 subs into place, it got a bit loose from my left hand. I didn't lose my grip with the right hand though, unfortunately, and when it traveled to the floor, it managed to also yank the heck out of my right shoulder. Oh yeah, it landed on the big toe of my right foot too, broke that.

As the night wore on, my shoulder got more and more sore, until by the end of the night I couldn't even lift my arm at all. Then we had to tear everything down again (it was an outdoor stage, grrrr...agents), which was great fun with one good foot and one good hand. Got up the next morning (well...afternoon :D)and I was in mortal agony from both my foot and shoulder. Limped around carrying my right arm in my left, set up like that, had to lift my right arm onto the body of the bass with my left to play (luckily it didn't effect my hand, and once my arm was in place I could play just fine). Tore down that nite, and drove home (Baton Rouge).

Went to the doctor the following Monday, and turns out that I'd damn near torn the ACL tendon in my right shoulder! Played 2 gigs, plus set up and tear down like that, the doctor almost killed me.......he said I was lucky to have ended up with no permanent damage to the shoulder. It took months to heal, and it's still not quite 100%, even after 6 months.

No blood and guts, but wasn't any fun, I will tell you that much.
  13. Xeo

Aug 21, 2000
    Aaaah geez... I did something like that once, when I was five, by jumping off this playground onto some munki bars and I had big boots on - the extra weight tore 3 tendons in my arms....

And I CAN do flea cartwheels, I was DRUNK
  14. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Man, you guys, be careful!! Brian-I see you have a Ric! :D Have you checked out the Rickenbacker thread? There's some great info there!
  15. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, I used to play there all the time! I think it's now a Subway or a Midas Muffler shop! What years did you play there? I don't know if the thread is still up, but I posted a pic of me playing my old Fender that was taken at the ol' Thirsty Whale.
  16. It was in the early 90s when I jammed at the Whale. This was just prior to its demise. I used to catch all-ages shows there in the late 80s. On the site where the Thirsty Whale once stood is now an Amoco station with a MacDonalds.

17. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I played there just ahead of your time - late '70s through the mid '80s. Please tell me that Gene & Jude's is still standing next door! I loved those hot dogs!
  18. Hey Brian, you weren't by any chance responsible for the Thirsty Whales demise were you? like say by FIRE or something? The way trouble follows you I had to ask ;)

Worst injury at one of my gigs - A guy got stabbed but thats about it.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nothing like that any of that stuff ever happened to me, but 'scuze me a sec ... I gotta go throw up. brb.
  20. I haven't personally been hurt yet, though my time will come. My friend did give himself a concussion by ramming his head into the mic during a System of A Down cover. Knocked himself out in front of about 1000 people.

Rock on