Worst high-end bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wicca, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Wicca

Oct 13, 2001
    I have seen threads about worst low end basses, but that is the worst high end bass, over $1000.00 that you have played?
  2. Gibson T-bird nikki six sig bass. $2000, and you can find the same tone listening to mud bubble.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My opinion? Paul Reed Smith. I've played a couple and they feel stiff. STIFF!!!:mad:
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...well, I've played a few Warwick Stinkers, though many are great, a few MM stinkers, (and even more great ones)...

Though, the ones that are uniformly poor quality, bad playability, and general stinkiness...

:confused: No clue. There aren't a lot of high end basses that suck. Some just aren't my bag, but that doesn't make them bad, just different. I've not really played anything over 1000 that made me go "Well, that's about $999 too much,"

Or maybe I just like basses to much to really diss on 'em.
  5. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I must admit, I have never tried nor heard them, but U.S. Masters basses look like poop.
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If they even qualify as "high-end" (maybe just expensive), I cast a vote for Fender Custom Shop. I'm sure there are some good ones, but overall they're way overpriced. Not to mention the fact that there really isn't any such thing as a Fender Custom Shop. All I asked for was an oil finish on the neck and graphite strips and was DENIED!!! :mad:

God bless Warmoth & USA Custom Guitars
  7. I have to agree that Gibson and PRS were never meant to make bass's. The PRS I played should have had its name changed to POS for the amount of money they were asking for.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    never found a high-end bass that was crap. There are plenty that aren't for me.

I don't like PRS or Gibson thunder bird basses. I think these aren't good at all.. but thats just me. some people dig them, and thats ok.

There are so many high-end basses because people have different taste.. or if you're like me, you have many tastes and wouldn't mind having one (or two) of every high-end bass. Just the way it is i guess
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...anyone else predict Mr. Smith (Paul Reed, that is) popping up 'round here sometime soon?:eek:

10. I actually liked the two PRS basses I played...but one of my friends bought that Nikki Sixx bass, and it sounded like ****!

That is, until I set it up!:D :cool: ;)
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I'll agree on the Gibson basses, especially that Nikki Sixx one. I hated the one that I played. WAYYYY overpriced.:rolleyes:
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My vote goes to the PRS, too. Bad feel, worse sound. Poop. That sums it up pretty well. Poop.
  13. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Although its not real high end, i think the Yamaha John Myung model(900 pounds) is pretty bad.............no way would he play the production model!!

14. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Fender American.
    Not too bad, but too pricey for the quality and performance.
  15. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Wrong first name. ;)

My vote goes tothe Gibson Thunderbird. I played a friend's Thunderbird at a rehearsal, and there was nothing about it that I liked. I haven't played a PRS bass or the Nikki Sixx model.
  16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I liked the old PRS design better than the new one and I didn't really like the old one either.:oops: Way overpriced and under developed. They make great guitars though.
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The PRS basses feel like...guitars. PRS probably made them to appease some guitar collectors who felt that they were missing a bass from their collection.

Moduli don't really do anything for me. They're well made, but to me they have no vibe.
  18. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    I'd say a Gibson, but its probably more of a glass half full/half empty thing.

Never having been brought up listening to the Allman brothers must have something to do with it.
  19. Alltho i'll probably get lynched for it..

I played on an Emperor last year, the tone was nice, but it felt so.. well.. ' fragile '.. if i'm going to pay $ 7k for a bass, i'd sure as hell want a rock solid one.
  20. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Totally agree on the PRS and Gibson basses. A total ripoff IMO. Also,I think the ESP custom shop is way overpriced for what they offer. -Luke