Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst instructional video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bardolph, May 20, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    What bassist has the worst instructional video you've seen and why?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Jeff Berlin's video.

Reasons in no particular order:
    • Jeff Berlin's nervous noodling in the interview sections
    • bass sound
    • the "songs"
    • his moustache
    • his clothes
    • Roddy Piper
    • that "moderator"
    • lack of concept
    • lack of content

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    The John Myung Video, he Plays EVERY Scale.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    not a bassist, but, Allan holdsworth has this one video that has got to be up there for the worst. It's like, he pretty much invented his own way of looking at music, which is very cool, but it doesn't necessarily coincide with what most people learn, so like he uses all these arbitrary chord symbols and short-hands that mean nothing to anyone but himself, and not only does he do this in the video, but he acknowledges the fact that they are useless to anyone but himself! :D

But the performances on that video are totally awesome, everyone has a mullet!

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, the video is totally useless except for the interview bits and the performances.

His first line is totally typical: "Hello, I never really wanted to do a video..." :D

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, that one is pretty strange. And what the heck is Roddy Piper there for? :confused:

I think the DCI All-Star Bass series is pretty cool, but the "host" or whatever is just terrible. But he is good for a few laughs because he says such stupid things.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, Jeff is a boxer (and wrestling fan?)
    His old Fender sported a Roddy Piper sticker...

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    well the above thread is way too long for my attention span..... so...the worst video of all time is....

Flea, Adventures In Spontaneous Jamming And Techniques. W/River Phoenix.

The guy don't know S***! Ok, I admit it, he jams like a mofo, but my man aint learn-ed!

Most can play that video and learn his lines in an hour. So in that respect, I spose it was educational..... :meh:

Flea-
    "This wonderful bass is full of cosmic energy, ready to bubble and ooz greasy funk chops like........"

In Flea's mind that's a pent scale... :confused:

Disclaimer-
    I do still love the guy. :smug:

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Beat me to it, Gard.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah, that Flea video is godawful

12. it's not bass, but you know, those "Blues guitar as taught by soul-less studio player"

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

crap, me too...what ever happened to that thing? i was on the list somewhere...i completely forgot

14. i remember one from junior high. the regular music teacher was out, so the sub put in a video. and this guy explained how to tune the guitar (sorry, it ain't a bass one, but i was playing bass to it) then he said "ok, now tune your guitar to mine" and he proceeded to play E......E........E.........E........ after a few minutes of this, i turned on my tuner, and the guy was off. way off.

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It got lost in the mail somewhere along the line. Shame, too - that was one entertaining thread as more and more talkbassers got exposed to that fungus.

16. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Yeah, I got that vid from Embellisher, I think. Ugh, could that have been any worse? The video and audio didn't link up, the guy just didn't explain himself well. Those of you that didn't get to see it, well, it's a mixed blessing. :meh:

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

17. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, I own the Jeff Berlin, Jaco, John Myung, Rocco Prestia and Victor Wooten videos, and I would have to say that they all teach little to nothing. Jeff Berlin's video is ODD! I really dig the songs he plays (I happen to dig his tone), and if it weren't for that video, I would have never learned "Motherlode". What Jeff needs to do next time around is not have Roddy Piper on it (*** was he thinking?). Jaco's video is fun to watch just to see him play. John Myung's is pretty damn boring (he needs to get a personality). Rocco Prestia's video is fun to watch because you get to see hi play with Tower of Power, also, it reveals how he plays all of his songs (muted of course :smug: ). Suprisingly, I find Victor Wooten's video to be the worst. It is alright to watch him play, but he really doesn't teach anything aside from his double thumb trick.

So out of my videos I rank them as such (worst to best):

1.Vic
    2.John
    3.Jeff
    4.Rocco
    5.Jaco

Now if we are rating these based on the educational value... (Best to worst)

1.John
    2.Jaco
    3.Rocco
    4.Jeff
    5.Vic

18. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If you watch what they are playing and dont' listen to what they are saying so much, you might learn a little more.

Do what they do, not what they say. Try to figure out what you have to practice on the bass and build up ur chops till u can play it as well and as effortless as they do.

My son bought the Jaco Video and learned a ton from trying to do what he did. He put in over a hundred hours or more. Now he plays along with Jaco on 'Donna Lee' trying to sound as if there is only on guy playing throughout the entire piece. Not easy to do, but a high goal to make for yourself.

If you put more hours 'shedding', you will miss a ton of discussions out here on TB!!

Pick one as your 'Major', "Playing"...... or " talking about it" !!

19. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, I kind of meant that throughout my post... i suppose I didn't make my point. These videos that I mentioned mostly emphasize on the persons technique. I feel it is more important to develop your own style (used to think differently) than to immitate others. Out of all of those videos, John's does more than teach you tapping and four finger plucking- he teaches you some really basic ideas and lets you explore with them.

Also, your son practiced a lot, and that is how you get better. If you would have sat him down with a recording of donna lee and had him learn it, he would learn it. It wasn't the Jaco video, he just wanted to learn a great song.

20. thats dumb. video tapes never play in tune. why the heck would
    they make you tune to a tape? lol thats really stupid