Worst New Years for me so far...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, tonight just sucked. I'm sick with a horrible sore throat, stuffy head/chest. I had to work on New Years Eve (I deliver pizzas). A manager was filling in for another driver tonight, and that manager ended up getting robbed at gunpoint. All while we were having the busiest time of the night. That really sucked for all of us, especially him. (He's okay,BTW. Filed a report, got fingerprints, all that) I ended up doing the closing thing for him tonight which entails cleaning everything in the store. I was supposed to get off by midnight at the latest, and I didn't get out of there until 3:30AM. Then I have to be up in 3 or so hours for church. I play bass there, and I do not like to miss it. It's really a highlight of my entire week. Then, in the afternoon, I tend to nap to catch up on my sleep. But then I have to work a 5 to close shift again. I asked someone who offered to work for me to do it, and they are filling in for somone else, that just doesn't feel like working. He isn't sick, isn't doing anything else, he just doesn't feel like it. This is a person I have known for 10 years, and is supposedly my best friend. I called and asked him to fill in for me, and he refused. He told me to call in sick (which I hate doing. I don't like putting my fellow employees through an under-staffed night like I just had to go through). This is the guy who I have done so many things for. I have fixed his car multiple times, fixed his computers, filled in for him. I think I am done with him.

No other job has made me a more resentful, angry, bitter, unpleasent person. My language is more vulgar, my blood pressure is higher, the food is making me fatter, and it sure as heck isn't getting me out of debt anytime soon. I'm supposed to be getting a college education right now, and have been missing that due to an overwhelming debt, and a lack of funds.

The anger issues reared their ugly head tonight as I punched a hole in the drywall at work, and threw my cell phone, which broke the screen, faceplate and battery cover. I need to get out, and get away from the sort of things that push me over the edge like that. I don't like being that way.

Anyone else have some sort of crappy night to rant about?
  2. Typical Domino's.

Is your debt college-related? Can you pay it off after you've found a job post-graduation? If it's possible, I'd suggest leaving Domino's.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I do want to leave domino's. I hate the damned place. Not college related debt, but credit card related. And I have two old ass cars that need maintenance. Luckily, my wife is applying for nursing jobs since she just graduated nursing school. That will bring some better pay so that I can get out from underneath this burden and find a real job.

I just can't stand people anymore either. I don't want to work retail anymore, and I am sick of foodservice. What the heck else is there for a college age guy who is married and in debt? Most jobs around here, you have to know somebody, or know somebody that knows somebody. I think I am going to go apply at some computer repair places around here, since I am pretty good with that. Some of the smaller ones, not the BestCircuitBuyCity type places.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I feel for you, there's always the military,but that's not for everyone and doesn't sound like your cup o tea.
    I sat around here all night on the computer. I've raised my kid so It's just me and the dog and cat.
    I've had my share of exciting one's though, including the one where I almost spent the night in jail for inciting a riot. That's a loooong story.
    My worst one I spent in the hospital in Iceland after catching myself on fire w/ a flaming drink, I almost went to jail there too for chewing out a Navy Cop who was trying to question me while I was getting my neck scraped. I was Air Force and we didn't get along w/ the Navy so well, especially the Cops. That story is much longer too.
    Hope things get better. Wish I had some suggestions.
  5. Well I thought my night was bad since I spent it all on my own in my room and on my Bass whilst my friends were all at family parties. It really sucked, but, I'm only 15 and us teenagers always make a big fuss out of everything and I'm sure alot of other people stayed home.

But that really did sound like an extremely bad night Trevorus. :eek:
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What really got to me is my manager let the one driver go home to get wasted, as he walked around announcing his intentions to do so all night, and they are all well aware that I go to church in the morning, and was NOT supposed to close that night. I don't care what the problem is, but that this just wrong.
  7. AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    yea same here with the in my room by myself underage thing, I wuz supposed 2 be the "fill in bassist" at a new years eve party, but my parents thought it wouldent be a good idea cuz things get "a little too crazy" around new years, which I would have understood if they would have told me a little before hand. But man dude I got no room 2 b*tch, that rle sux Trevorus dude.
  8. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    When I was in university I lucked my way into a job working for the Nanoscale and Surface Physics Research Group. Of course, those kinds of jobs are pretty hard to come by.

Some of my best work experiences have been doing manual labour, despite the whole fancy education thing. I've always had a thing for working with my hands and if you want to get fit and strong there's nothing quite like swinging a hammer or tossing heavy blocking around all day. Of course, any job you find will have it's own style of BS to deal with. Your best bet is to figure out what causes you the least stress and try to avoid the rest.

9. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    New Year's Eve is extremely over-rated. The really sad part about your story though is that no one would step up to the plate to help you out. Screw 'em. I don't mess around with people like that. They're all in the game to get what they want and screw everyone else. That's partly why the world is the way it is. Sorry to be grim, but you need to surround yourself with people that are more giving. Let the selfish people go and God or Allah or karma will sort them out later.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Trev, pack up your game and head out West. :)

There are lots of excellent nursing positions out this way, and they offer healthy sign on bonuses. My wife consults for a headhunting firm that tracks down medical professionals. Newly graduated nurses that did well in school can get a sweet relocation package and a nice signing bonus.

IIRC, you are handy with tools, and do some maintenance work. You can find openings in that field as well. Several nice apartment complexes in this area are looking for guys like you.

11. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Funny, that's what I'm doing in about a month here. Not to say I had a horrible New Years, in fact I could care less about where I go and what I do on just another day, at least that's how it is to me. It is nice to party and whatnot, but in the end it doesn't really matter to people with more pressing responsibilities.
    I'm not sure what your responsibilities are Trev, you mentioned you're married and that in itself is a huge commitment. I on the other hand have total (almost) freedom. I'm getting ready to hand the car I've been using back over to my Stepdad, simply because he's trying to screw me over on insurance and I don't want to deal with the crap that comes along with that. I'm not in a legally binding contract with him over this vehicle, and really at this point I have no other choice due to an impending divorce between him and my Mother. He's the type of guy that would try to avenge his downfall if you will, you know kinda like "I think I'm going to be screwed over by your Mom so I'm going to screw you over too," type of thing. Quite the arrogant narcissist IMO.
    So my overall plan is to go live with my Dad out in Colorado rent and worry free (almost), I have a job lined up doing Handi-Man work with my brother in law, not to mention my hotel experience with various operating systems could prove useful too. As far as transportation goes, I'll probably end up buying an used car here and driving out, then worrying about switching insurance when I finally establish residency in CO. The only thing is I first have to tell the Bear (Stepdad) that I don't want his problems anymore (the car) and working on finding a temp. residence once he tells me to **** off kindly. :spit:

So there's my rant. Not that it helped you any, but it doesn't hurt to assess all of your options and make decisions one at a time. Write 'em down on paper and look them over for a while, it seems to help once you've got them sorted out and on concrete, instead of having to think of each idea individually and juggle them around in your mind.

It seems like Illinois is pissing off a lot of people lately, so remember that you're not alone. Thank God that you didn't get robbed at gunpoint either. When you think it's bad, it could always be a lot worse. At least IME. :meh:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

A nice walk in the great out doors can do wonders for you, i highly recommend it. :)
  13. Trev, I hear how frustrated you are. It can be done. It took my wife until she was 30 to complete her BS degree and she was doing it supporting 2 kids by herself with no child support.

It sounds like you are coming face to face with the reality of credit card debt at an early age. The marketing departments for the banks scam you and then the collection departments hound you. I am a big advocate of debit cards. They work like credit cards in the checkout lines and you never overspend.

Whether you look for a new job in Urbana or elsewhere it sounds like you need to put Dominos in your past. I took a year off college to get my priorities straight and one of my kids did the same. Just remember that the degree is your goal but the path is not as straightforward these days as the "myth of college daze" would lead one to believe. I would rather hire someone like you who struggles to get through college than someone who has an easy time financially.

In regards to Mike's comment about jobs out West, I know that new RNs in my area are starting at $19.00 / hr. I'm sure it must be greater in metropolitan areas.
  14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Trev, Man, be thankful that at least you have someone to come home to on New Years Eve. I'm 48 never been married and have a tough time remembering ever sharing a new years eve with anyone. I just hide in my house during the holidays.