Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WORST Night of my life!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Jun 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was on my way to a gig and I almost has a car crash with someone. I pulled up to the lights, and the guy I almost hit, jumps out and bangs on my window. He was the BIGGEST Samoan that I had seen in a long time! He said " I've got kids in the back! You could have killed them!" And he promptly winds his arm up and hits me full force, in the jaw. I am now sporting a large lump on the side of my face.

Anyway, I get to the gig and I am setting up,when my guitarist drops his amp on mine, and breaks 3 knobs off my graphic equaliser!

As if the night could get any worse, I break an E string in the last song and ripped a hole in my middle finger, right before my big solo bit!

Has anyone had a night as bad as this?

2. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    No. I have never had a night that bad.

Are you sure that wasn't a scene from a Ben Stiller movie of some kind?

3. I've had an experience similar to yours, but I would play the role of the Samoan (although I'm not that big!) and I actually get rear ended.

Me and our band's singer were on our way to a soundcheck (we we're opening for a band called Savatage) and as I pulled up to a stop light, I hear this screaching sound and suddenly find my car in the middle of the intersection. This 17yr old girl, with no insurance, hits me at about 30mph and buckles the back end of my car against the rear tires.

We end up at the hospital. They check us out and decided we're okay and we then make it to the gig about 10minutes before we're suppose to go on. It still ended up being a good gig even though my back was a little stiff.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I too, have never had a night that bad.

That's bad.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :D

Ben Stiller should do a movie as a Bassist... imagine that :eek:

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It would be the greatest movie of the year...but no one would notice...:D:D

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You did press charges against the guy that hit you right?
    I sure the hell would have!

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I had a night just like that...some nob nearly hit me while I was driving with my kids in the back of the car. The punk totally cut me off then he gives me the finger and spits at my car as we stopped at a light. I got out to ask him if he was OK and he started swearing at me. So I yelled at him and told him I had kids in the car, then he went to reach for something under his seat. I grabbed him by his scrawny neck and pounded him in the jaw. Knocked him out cold. Then, later, after dropping off my kids, I went out to see a band play. Not only did the bass player suck, but he also had a dent in his amp and the eq was wrecked. Later he had the singer announce "this once's a special tune, our bass player has been working on it for months...let's give him a big hand..." Then just a few notes into "Runnin with the Devil" his E-string popped. We all started throwing beer bottles at him. He tried to hide behind the guitarist and was crying because he hurt his finger or something. They decided to have some guy replace him for the rest of the set while the bass player sat in the corner. The dude they replaced him with was much better, despite the fact that he had no hands and played with his elbows.

What a night.

9. Are you trying to be funny? I hope not because you aren't. I would prefer it if you didn't just take the piss out of me when I try to tell an innocent story.

You disgust me! Your sense of humour sucks and I if I almost hit you, I probably would spit at your car, becuase you seem like the kind of dick who would deserve it.

If you have nothing positive or constructive to say, then keep your opinion to yourself!

Another thing, that couldn't have happen because you live in the USA while I live in New Zealand.

I also dont play Van Halen covers

I hope I haven't offended any moderators or other people. I just take exception to people who poke fun at innocent, hardworking, everyday "joes" like me.

10. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Dude, I'm pretty sure you have taken Zulu's reply the wrong way! Lighten up a little, that much anger is bad for the blood pressure.

11. Sorry, B Note Cowboy. I guess I was a little heavy handed with my rebuttle. I think I have learnt over the years to not stand for stuff like that. For ages, I was easy to make fun of, but lately I've been sticking up fo myself more.

I also apologise to Zulufunk. Although I still think what you wrote was cold and heartless, I guess I should learn too laugh at things, rather than fire up and get angry.

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    5Stringfreak:

I got your e-mail

This is the message:

I hoped that you, as one of the many frequenters of Talkbass, might have a
    little sympathy for me.
    Thanks a lot for just presuming to know what happened to me and my ability! You
    seem like a real cool Guy!

I one small story, you decided to deconstuct the events and twist it to look
    like evry thing was my fault.

How the hell do you think that you know anything about my ability? Even if I did
    suck at bass, is it really offending you? I think not. Why make dumbass posts
    like the one you just made in my thread?

I bet you are a wonderful person!? (do you detect any sarcasm in that
    statement?)

Duuuude...chill. You put it out there, I was just trying to make an Ironic juxtapose perspective of an incident in which I'm sure nobody on the board had any thought I had any involvement. It was fictional commentary from the Samoan thug's point of view.
    I am not disparaging your playing because, I'VE NEVER HEARD YOU. Don't get so offended. I apologize. I didn't think you would actually think anyone would think less of your abilities based on a lampoon retort post.
    I feel bad about your face, your e-string and your self-esteem. I've never personally had anyone hit me except during boxing matches at Fort Bragg. But then again, I am an innocent hard working everyday joe, who was trying to make light of a situation for you be looking at it from a skewed position (that of the hood who assaulted you.). I didn't figure you would be so sensitive because you posted the narrative in the first place.

Keep it light. What I did was not a flame because it was understood by anyone with a brain to be fictitious. If this were a board for drummers, I would understand the confusion.

I didn't think we were into posting this type of language though:
    "Your sense of humor sucks and I if were you, and I almost hit you, I probably would spit at your car, because you seem like the kind of dick who would deserve it. "

Shouldn't I be offended. I assume you are serious.

PS- shouldn't we call you 4-string freak now?

13. I realise now that I was too heavy handed and I apologize (I did in my previous post but I am again just to amke sure that you see it). I hope I didn't offend you, it's just that my jaw still hurts pretty bad. I don't think that a 17 year old(me) getting hit in the face by a middle aged man was very funny. Please disregard everything that was offensive to you.

BTW, I just went out and bought a new set of strings so I am still a 5 string devotee.

14. hey zulu, i thought your original post was funny, and freak took it the wrong way. but posting a private email on the board is just plain bad form.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hooray for me, I'm finally getting to see a good one. They usually get pulled before I get to read em.

Off topic but, anyone know of any good drummer forums. I think they'd be hilarious.

And Zulu, are you crazy with that last statement. That isn't funny. I don't find an ounce of humor in that, you insensitive #4%@*. Of all The Nerve!

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    You have a point.
    At the time though, I did not see his posted remarks. Lesson learned about sending nasty messages to members (private or otherwise)??? Maybe I should hide my address because I don't personally want to be flamed via e-mail. If you're going to do it, do it in the open where everyone can see.
    Maybe, then again, let's just drop it.

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone wanting to send me dirty pictures though...

That was a joke too.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok...Zulu Might have been out of line, 5SF might have over reacted, either way, Nothing here but some hurt feelings, so I'm gonna shut her down...maybe delete...I don't know. At any particular rate, kiss this one goodbye...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.