Worst of gigs, best of compliments

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Oct 1, 2003.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Played a gig outside in Key West a couple of weeks ago at a biker event. It was on the street, and most of the audience consisted of people walking or riding past. Anyway, new drummer + unfamiliar songs + crappy monitors made for an overall pretty bad experience from a musician's point of view. When the set list was over, we broke into an improv thing for about 10 minutes, just to make us feel better after we butchered the other material. Then packed up and got out of there.

We live 5 hours north of Key West. The guy who played guitar that night is an electrician, and a few days later he was wiring a lady's house who mentioned that she had been at the biker rally in Key West. He told her that we had too, and where we were. She said that she, her husband, and her brother who is somehow involved in music had caught our jam at the end and were really impressed. My friend told me she specifically complimented the bass player's (that's me :cool: ) tone and creativity.

Don't hear about people picking the bass player out of a lineup that often. That made me feel really good. Doesn't change the fact that I went into that gig WAY underprepared, which is a mistake I won't repeat, but it did help ease the pain a whole lot. :D
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Way to save the gig!
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's cool.

i like it when the bass player getting the comp's

i think we are all tired of the guitar player or singer getting all the hummers
  4. them thar singers can't have all the fun.

i always notice the bassist. we've been through so many, i always look for folks that woulda been cool to hook up with.

the bass dude from that revel band i mentioned also caught my interest. he was playing some nice harmonies in there.

a good bassist is worth more than a so-so guitarist any day.