Worst Pop and Rock Singles

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Blantantly plagiarizing an idea from AOL, I thought it would be fun to see what you folks think are some of the very worst pop or rock singles whether it be for lyrics, melody, vocals or whatever deficiency ruins the song. AOL has quite a list, but I bet we can do even better (worse). :)

Two I have genuinely hated are "All She Wants Is Another Baby" by the Swedish pop group whose name alludes me and a similar "Poppa, Don't Preach" by Madonna.

The first irks me because it sings about a young woman, who without evident benefit of a partner, is in search of having yet another baby. Added to that notion, the tune itself drives me nuts.

The second which preceded the one above by ten or fifteen years, sings about having a baby out of wedlock, too. Evidently the young mother-to-be is still living at home and must face her father's wrath.

Many songs from the U.S. and Europe are heard all over the world, often in nations that do not fully understand what is being sung. As a perfect example of this, I was living in the Phillipines when Madonna's "Poppa, etc." song was very popular there.

A Catholic school was planning a student talent show and a group of young pre-teen girls were practicing a dance routine to that very song while smiling nuns looked on...all of whom were blissfully unaware of what the lyrics of that song mean.

I was at that rehearsal and scolded myself to speak quitely with the nuns about the choice of dance song fearing that when this song was played for the parents, some would know what the words meant, deeming the song totally inappropriate.

Coward that I am, I did not approach the nuns, because one must be very careful in that culture about pointing out embarrassing errors so as not to cause a loss of face. As I am not known for my diplomacy and couldn't think of a delicate way to point out the song's mature theme, I kept to myself.

All I can hope is that no one at the recital understood the words, including any of the parents, many of whom are well-traveled and even have U.S. college degrees. :)
  2. I nominate both the UK Pop Idol winners' singles- Will Young's (who looks like The Joker) "evergreen" and Gareth Gates' version of "unchained melody" (currently at the UK no.1 spot).

manufactured pop at its worst- arrrgghhh......

also, a dishonourable mention for "achy breaky heart" by Garth Brooks.

Two I have genuinely hated are "All She Wants Is Another Baby" by the Swedish pop group whose name alludes me

that was Ace of Base...*hangs head in shame for knowing that* :oops:
  3. ps. here's a pic I did comparing Will Young and The Joker;

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All those that you all mentioned, plus, some others that many of us shamefully remember, by era, (but still lost our lunch when we heard them);

60's: "Billy Don't Be a Hero" The Haywoods(???)

- "Half Breed" Cher (haven't Native Americans suffered enough???)

- "Puppy Love" Donny Osmond ("Ossy Osmond")

70's: "Time in a Bottle" Jim Croce

- "Moon Shadow" Cat Stevens (of whatever his Muslim name is now :rolleyes: )

- "Piano Man" Bill "Brill Building" Joel

- "Come Sail Away" Stynxx, er, Styx

80's: "You Light Up My Life" Debby Boone

90's: "November Rain" Guns n' Roses

2000 and counting: Anything with Jennifer Lopez
  5. Boplicity

Yes, it was Ace of Bass. I guess I forgot because I can't stand any of their music, but "all She Wants" is their worst example, because both the lyrics and the tune are bad.

I din't know Garth Brooks did a cover of "Achey, Breaky heart." Billy Ray Cyrus did the original and awful version. Why on Earth would Brooks cover that killer song, thus perpetuating the awfulness and suffering of all the listeners?:D
  6. Boplicity

RickBass, all the songs you mention do "stynk", but you still have the coolest avatar at TalkBass.
  7. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    rickbass, I am totally ashamed! I have every single one of those songs in my Kazaa folder!! Along with...

'Little Willie' -- Sweet
    'The Night Chicago Died' -- Paper Lace
    'Undercover Angel' - Alan O'Day

Hey MTR... It's Billy Ray Cyrus who does 'Achy Breaky Heart'... He's a national treasure!!

8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I also show Paper Lace as doing 'Billy, Don't Be A Hero'... 'Spose it could be mis-labeled

9. ah, yeah, it was Billy Ray Cyrus, not Garth Brooks, but I'm not ashamed for making the mistake:p:D

some others; J Lopez- "play that song" or whatever,
    Celine Dion- Titanic theme
    Shania Twain- "man, I feel like a woman",
    "that don't impress me much"
    (Sheryl Crow seems to be doing stuff like that these days too...)
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW, I do like Croce's "Time In A Bottle"...

Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach"...that video has Madonna 'popping outta' her top(ya look quick &/or have a decent freeze-frame on your VCR).

As long as I can SEE the Shania videos...I'm good. ;)
  11. Boplicity

I'm probably totaly alone in this, but I don't much care for anything by Abba. Their worst, though, is "Fernando" a song that just drives me nuts.

For Shania fans, I understand she is about to launch her new album. Don't know what the holdup is.
  12. Nothing will clear a room faster than Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey"; maybe "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks.

Another personal "fave" is "American Pie". My ex-sister-in-law invented the 'right-footed remix' version of that song. We were in a bar, and someone played it on the jukebox. One quick kick, and the song was mysteriously shortened by about seven minutes.

"A long, long time ago...I can ***KLANG!! FFFFFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRTTTT!!!! This'll be the day that I die...."
  13. Boplicity

That's what I want to do when Madonna sings that song.:D
  14. Boplicity

There is a song called "Love Shack" by a party Georgia band. It is one of those songs that races through my head when I can't sleep and it just keeps repeated and repeating. Aaarg!: :(
  15. what the heck? you've gotta be kidding, billy joel rules.
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Worst single? "are you jimmy ray" by, jimmy ray.
  17. Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    rickbass, how dare you dis both Cat Stevens and Guns 'n' Roses in one post! I am appalled.

Anywho, I nominate "Bad Touch" by The Bloodhound Gang. I got my tongue stuck in the hole in that CD for a half hour.
  18. "Babe, What Would You Say" by "Hurricane" Smith...the engineer on Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon decides, what the hell, he can be an artisit, too. Excruciating.

"My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry. Great artist. Painfully embarassing song.

"Mary Had A Little Lamb" by Paul McCartney and Wings--what happens when a genius gets lazy.

"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro, as someone mentioned, will clear a room in ten seconds flat.
  19. Boplicity

Almost any single by the Spice Girls is maddening, but McDonald's has made matters worse by daring to use one of the Spice Girls very worst songs in an ad in heavy rotation lately on TV.

It is the song that asks, "Do you like it hot, like it really, really hot? Do you like it hot, like it hot, like it hot? I want it hot. I want it hot. I want it hot!"

I want it banned.
  20. Disregarding what the poster 3 posts above me said...
    Welcome to the Jungle
    November Rain
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    Paradise City

Axl Rose makes me wants to vomit.