Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst Solo Faces

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Inspired by a recent thread in technique, this one's dedicated to the players who make it look like something's gone terribly wrong whenever they solo.

Johnny Lang has got to be one of the worst-he himself has said he couldn't control the faces he makes when soloing. He just looks like he's in pure agony.

Eric Clapton has always had a pretty bad face pucker when he solos, like he's eaten a lemon or something.

As I said in the other thread, John Patitucci often looks like he's being introduced to the finer points of prison life when he's soloing. Lots of teeth nashing and such.

Name some bad ones, guys.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know if he solos, but our very own Firkinahsoul has the simultaneously best/worst faces of all time.

...it's a love kick, Firk. A love kick.

3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I remember Dana Carvey (the comedian) had a bit about the expressions guitarists make when playing. For example, they'll look like they're surprised when they do a change, look like they're in pain, and look something like a dog wiping his ass on the carpet.

I don't know much i can lend to this thread, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Joe Satriani. he doesn't do any "wierd" expressions, but on his live DVD he looks like he's "getting off" when he plays, but I assume that is common for guitarists?

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Grab the new Dream THeater Live at the Budokan DVD and check out John Petrucci's faces during the Hollow Years and Beyond This Life solos. They are definately some of the "most expressive" i've seen. Great stuff!

5. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    doesn't exist unless you have pics.

Though I second Firkinahsoul. I use him to scare people away from spectors.

6. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
  7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Have you seen Deep Purple's Ian Paice in recent videos (LSO or any concerts with Steve Morse)? His gestures make me think there's something wrong with him (like ill or like he doesn't have control over that). He moves his lips and all of his mouth-area muscles in such a weird manner (to me).

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Firk still wins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I wasn't soloing here, nor was I even rocking, but somebody had a camera and I had a 5 string Les Paul bass in my hands. Worst shot I've ever seen of myself, which is saying alot because I'm not exactly photogenic.

I have much more hair now, by the way. And sideburns. Still skinny though. And ugly. And no Les Paul bass.

[​IMG]

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It looks like your upper arm attaches to your lower arm by a single ligament. Eat a cheeseburger, dude ;)

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Haha! I eat like crazy, dude. Sure, get your laughs now, but just wait! When you're old and fat, I'll be old and skinny. I'll have my pick of all the hot 60 year old ladies I want!

12. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    a solo, what is this you speak of?

13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I like to thank the media, and my fans for all of their support over the years. The faces I make are from years of practice in front of adoring fans such as the ones in the balcony up there, WOOOO! :bassist:

14. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003

You could always blame it on the beer pictured. :bassist:

15. Ben, you look 20 years older than that other photo of you being humped by that robot.

What gives? Where you on smack at the time or something?

16. Too bad I don't have digital versions of some nasty pics of me.

Most of the time though, when I'm playing, I have a straight face. Almost too straight. I should smile a bit more.

17. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    I dont have the worst but i have THE best accidental rock pose ever, i mean ever.

18. "She choppa-brcolli"

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Worse. I was in Texas.