worst strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Insomniac, Nov 4, 2002.

1. i have seen and played the worst set of strings in the world...Fender NPS super bass with the taperwound E string...the E sits lower in the saddle so forget about playing any notes past the 12th fret...jeez and that E sounds sooo different, like more metallic....just a stupid idea:rolleyes:
  2. I've never played a set of those, but, I'll take your word for it.

The absolute worst strings I've ever played were the ones that came on my Epiphone Jack Casady bass. I don't know what brand they were, but, they were light gauge, had a very tinny banjo like twang to them and they turned my fingers black after playing them for about ten minutes. I washed them, but, the black came back. I changed them after 3 days. And to think these pieces of garbage were put on such a great sounding bass is beyond me.

To this day I've never found out what brand they were.

Mike J.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    some brand called darco, i think that they are an offshoot of martin. my brother used them on his gibson LP and they had a real nice tone and cost next to nothing. i got them for a fender jazz i had and they did sound great but only for about 5 minutes (literally)!
    they lost all tone and sounded like flats that had been played for forty-seven years (40-45 is ok, but after that you gotta change them)
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

These were guitar strings I used when I got my first guitar when the Great Pyramid was built - Black Diamonds.

I realize I only had a godawful Silvertone guitar strung with them. But these things actually turned black!!!! after playing them a little while and made the guitar sound much worse!

I think they were dead in about a week. I bought them at my local record store.

From their latest ads and the image they project, I doubt they've gotten much better. Here's one of their ads they are running nowadays showing "Wamfo, the PCP Wonder Boy (that's what I call him -

5. I played a set of Fender Super Basses, I couldn't stand the sound, I got them for xmas and I changed them in about 2 weeks
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uhhh, that's why God made saddles with adjustable string heights. Just get a little allen wrench, and raise the saddle until the string is where it would've been if it wasn't tapered.
  7. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    yep, and the string will then resonate longer and stay in tune better than a normal string

don't diss something just because you don't understand it, Insomniac
  8. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    I wish god had set up/built my bass.
  9. Actually fellas, those strings, come to find out are for through-body bridges...
  10. The worst strings I've tried would have to be Webstrings. They sounded dead to me, and the playability wasn't great either IMO.
  11. GHS boomers. i mean, they weren't TERRIBLE, but of the 4 or so brands i've ever tried, they were the worst IMO.
  12. I used some Fender Bullets and Ernie Ball Hybrid's that i thought sucked. They were out of my Diadarios so I bought them. they costed twice as much and last an hour each.
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    IMO Ernie Ball Slinkies.

Died too quickly, had bad tone, and broke WAY TOO EASILY!

Oh and for what its worth, I had Epiphone brand strings on the bass before the Slinkies, and they were much better.

14. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The "tapered" Fender 8250s that started this thread are intended only for current through-body Fender basses and require bridge setup and intonation.

They will not work on other basses, including many reissue through-body basses such as the Sting/'54RI
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    WHAT? i mean, really. everyone knows erineball stings just SUCK........right......

boomers. god, dead after 2 weeks, and thud tone to beat.
  16. hey, i like my GHS's so lay off..
  17. okay, let's not take string preferences personally, now.

personally i think ernie balls are great.
  18. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I'll usually play anything as long as they aren't flat wounds, no more flats for me, I didn't not like mine when I had them, but I also enjoy highs. I really like these Peavey Cirrus bass strings I have, I've got em on my aria pro, and my fender, soon to put them on my Spector, and my jay turser has GHS strings I think, decent sounding strings.
  19. im sure there are worse strings but out of the brands i have tried it has to be GHS Boomers... sound dead as soon as you put them on and sound deader in 2 weeks...

i used to play nothing but slinkys then converted to Ken Smith... looking for a local store with DR Highbeams though... have heard nothing but good things about them
  20. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Probably the Peavey Gliders I used in the '80's (man, I feel ancient) and the Everly Rockers I tried a couple of years ago. But they weren't so bad that they gave out after a couple of weeks.

I presently use Fenders on my MIM Jazz. The package says "string thru body only", but they work just fine.