Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst thing that you can say to a/your guitarist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Read a couple of guys here actually said this
    "Try play this!", and play something on their bass.

But to me, it seems like that's the worst thing to say! The strings are thicker, the spacings are wider, and there are less strings (for a 4-stringer), so it is harder to play something on the bass compared to on the guitar. So it makes no sense!

I think bassists generally shines in endurance, consistency and creating grooves, and not speedwise, melodywise, or technique wise.

What dya say?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I like a guitar player with a good ear. And, I've never offended anyone by playing them a lick on my bass. Once or twice I've run into a guitar player who couldn't do the translation, but for the most part I've been pretty lucky to be associated with good musicians.

The flip side of that coin is, I can play "anything" a guitar player can play, on my bass. Don't even need all six strings! :)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    People, playing in a band is a <B>team</b> effort, so either work it out or (make him) quit.
    I don't get this bashing and it fits Miscellaneous better than OT, so I gladly move it there.

4. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    Don't know if it's the worst thing to say, but i once said to a guitarist that he plays too much/too long solos.. :D He got pretty upset with that.

The thing is he really did. Solo here, solo there, all solos. He couldn't play a melody whithout adding something extra all the time, which is good to a certain extent, of course. Well, he was a bit older and more experienced than me, so i guess he had to show off for the kid.

Does that make me an arrogant brat..? :meh:

5. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    My amp is more powerfull than yours (so shut up) :cool:

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Worst thing you can say to a guitar player?

I like the way you play

7. True.

I sometimes play with a band that has two guitarists. I couldn't do their last gig, so the rhythm guitarist had to play bass, and he said his fingers hurt like hell! He got blisters from playing those big, taut strings! :D

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    This is why I also play guitar. If I have a idea I can grab their guitar and show them.
    Also to say "look punk!! its not that hard to do. Stop being an a$$ about it"

9. Is your lack of taste natural or did you have to graduate from wank school to get it?

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Graduated.
    Top of my class.

11. the worst thing i can say to my guitarist?

its not you, its me. maybe we can still be friends

:D :D :D :D

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    "Turn up (your volume)". :D :eek:

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    "WHAT!!! I CAN"T HERE YOU!!!"

14. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    While he's desperately trying to troubleshoot his signal path, 5 minutes before the show: "I think you have too many effects pedals". ;)

15. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    "Let me show you". I think a lot of guitarists are intimidated when you can play things on their instrument that they can't. I've unintentionally stepped on a few toes over the years when I've made the mistake of writing parts that the guitarists can't play. Then again, I'm a bit offended when someone won't take the time to practice a part until they get it.

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You can't spell either... :D

Maybe you meant, "I can't HEAR you".

[Spelling police now off duty ;) ]

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "No, I don't want to Super Size my meal."

18. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    So this band I was in once, we were learning "Sexy MF" by Prince. And if you've heard that song then you know that, aside from a very nasty groove, it has a tasty little guitar solo. Well, in short, I was so enthralled by the solo that I learned it on my bass. Can you guess what happened next? At rehearsal the "master wanksman" said "I couldn't quite get that solo". So I said "I can play it on the bass, watch", so I guess that's the worst thing you can say to a guitar player........ :bassist:

19. Worst thing: dude...your sister is pregnant and uh....

But seriously, the worst thing I ever said was "dude, you’re pretty fast, but have you ever seen Michael Angelo Batio?" Next thing you know he's doing that flipping back and forth from the bottom to the top of the neck thing only he's figured out a "more efficient" way.

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings