Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst (Ugliest) Finish Contest...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yah don't win anything but a little shred o' "respect" So post the mother of all bad finishes! Here's my entry (courtesy of Bunny Bass!)

[​IMG]

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I wish I had taken some pictures of the P-Bass i modded..
    I completely ruined the finish.. It looks like a Popsicle being solidified by the sun!!
    Is the absolutely worst finish I have ever seen..

3. who would want a bass that hard to look at?

4. omigod.
    That is spectacularly ugly!

Here is my entry. A fretless Westone that was (briefly) on fire. Thankfully I was not wearing it at the time. The pic really doesn't do it justice... the finish was bad to begin with, but the flaming mystery drink really did it in. But it still sounds good- the electronics survived.

5. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    God, I wish I had a digital camera, so I could post a picture of my Memphis "P-bass" copy, complete with taped pickups, all frets removed with needle-nosed pliers, hand-modified pickguard, and a
    twenty (?) year old cheap-assed scratch and dent
    sunburst finish, with chips and actual chunks of wood missing from the body/neck joint!
    I'm saving it, in case my amp cabinet loses a caster!

Oh, and I never did get around to smoothing out the fretboard/fingerboard after yanking out the frets!!!!

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Eeew, Brendan! That's nasty. It looks like someone puked their breakfast or something. Interestingly enough, I never thought about it much 'till you pointed out how ugly it is. Thanks a lot, dude.

I've seen some Carrera basses that had a weird flesh tone patchmork, like a the bass was made of various pieces of meat. That's the ultimate in ugliness.

Will C.:cool:

7. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    "I've seen some Carrera basses that had a weird flesh tone *patchmork*"

I knew that words could slip out when speaking them, but never realized it could happen while typing LOL . No offense to you Big Wheel, and none intended. THis just struck me funny. Lol

I hope you meant matchPORK, because I've never heard of patchmork lol.

-Tronict

8. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    BoyTronictq I knew that words could slip out when speaking them, but never realized it could happen while typing LOL . No offense meant but you didn't just post the same thing three times!!

You should delete those next time you take a look at this post.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    you call these bad finishes???!

look at any of the 80's Jackson and ESP Thrash metal graphic finishes and you'll be pukin' all day!

just look at bunny bass or Jackson's site and you'll see what mean.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, I meant "Patchwork". That's what happens when I'm in a hurry to watch Futurama... or the Simpsons.

Will C.:cool:

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Could play that bass, no problems there. That color is kinda cool, actually :cool:

12. FleaRHCP

FleaRHCP

Mar 26, 2001
    Rockford, MI
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Billy Sheehan had no problem playing a pink bass. I used to have a hot pink MIJ Squier Strat with Dimarzios and a Floyd. Great guitar, wasn't ashamed to play it in front of people.

14. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
  15. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    gf.. that is SUPRISINGLY UGLY..

I´ve seen a ugly Sadowsky some time ago.. Sherwood Green with a Tortoise Pickguard *irg*

Anyways, I would never touch a bass with pink in / on it...

David

16. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Anything my Carl Thompson. GOD those are ugly.

17. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Hmm, wonder how it got up there three times!

I guess mistakes do happen, i only typed it once and hit the button once, and to this day i only see one of my own post.
    Srry lol.

-Tronict

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whats wrong with pink? Pink rules, id love to have a pink bass!

Anyhow, the 10th Anniversary Yamaha is purple. Just thought id let you know. ;)

19. good fella: I've seen a guitar like that, but with yellow polka-dots! U G L Y !!!!!