Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worst way to get fired

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass__player01, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Ok, I thought I couldnt put this in the "best way to get fired" thread so i started a new one....

I was working in a motel (from midnight to 8 am) and had nothing to do other than surfing the internet (talkbass most of the time to be honest :p)

but one night i decide to download a chatting program and used it a part of the night... and realised the computer had absolutely no virusscan or anything to protect it....
    of course it all bugs and i can't even turn the computer back on.....

I've got about5 hours before my boss comes back and i must.. repair the thing... :S

it didn't end out pretty well, i had caught a damn virus and the computer was out for 3 days... no more files of the motel users, no more credits... no way to know who had paid, who had to pay... which room was used or not...

My boss fired me right when he came to work on the morning.... but honestly, i deserved it :rolleyes:

now, what are your worst stories?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    When I was foreman on a high rise hotel in downtown Seattle, I caught one of my guys sleeping in a finished room of the hotel we were working on.

I waited for him outside the door, and when he came out I handed him his tools, and asked him to leave the building immediately. He asked about his check, and I told him to clear it up with hotel management since they would prolly want to be reimbursed for the room he slept in every day. He said forget it, and never came back.

-Mike

3. Your boss was an idiot for not backing up files somewhere else. Computers aren't tanks. Also for not having some type of firewall at least, motel or not.

4. Haven't done it personally but I think I know the worst way to get fired......

die.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i never got fired from a job. but i was working in something like a book store if you will. and we were boxing books. and i told a female employ that the box she had gotten to fill up was "a tiny box, you cant fit any books in there." well the manager had walked by in that moment, 5 minutes later im in his office answering questions to a possible sexualy harrasment suit. i quit about a month later, however, all but about 4 people in that place thought i was some sort of male pig sex offending chauvanist. was not pleasing...

6. Unbelievable.

As far as worst ways to get fired: I was hired on at the phone company as a "service rep". One month into the 2 month training period, we were informed that it was sales/service with a quota. Seeing as how I felt I was lied to...I did my job, but didn't really push the products. Two months and two weeks into the job, it was made known that, barring a miracle, I would lose my job at the end of the week for not meeting quota. Three days before termination I found out my wife was pregnant with my first. Talk about the wrong time to make a silent stand.

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    At the hospital where I work, somebody decided to file a sexual harassment complaint on me. If you know me in the real world, you know this is a crock.

The story comes out when I'm being written up for it that I saw her in the parking garage and must have thought she had pretty hair because I said, and this was the core of her complaint, "You have pretty hair." That's it. That's all. And I got written up for it.

But wait. It get's better.

Some time later, I held a door open for some people to go through, and she must have been one of them. Because I got another complaint for 'engineering a situation that forced her to pass in close proximity to me' So she got me written up again.

Some time later I am reputed to have looked at her (seriously) because she wrote me up again.

If she complained again I would be fired, but I don't know who she is. They won't tell me enough to know who to avoid. Every thing that is happening here is happening inside the head of someone I don't know. How do you protect yourself from that?

I asked to be assigned a different parking area so she would stop seeing me and getting riled up. So far I haven't had a complaint if about three years, but I don't know if there's a sunset period on that stuff. I worry that I'll pass someone in the hall, or push a button to open an elevator, or just be in the room with the wrong person and suddenly hear a stranger shriek "Bastard! You never change!" and then I'll be unemployed the next day.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ya that really does suck, I'd file a law suit against the company for not telling me, falsly accusing me, and hurting my career.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +infinity.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree with Freaky, that is nuts.

11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, Nuts and probably illegal and in violation of comany policies. Nothing in those situations comes close to the deffinition of sexual harrasment, and the reporting employee should be reprimanded for making false accusations. If there was a situation where other employees were present during a situation, they should be interviewed to see what they thought of the incident. I would talk to someone in your HR department and ask to have your file reviewed and have those incidents investigated and push to have them removed from your file. Leaving them there only adds validity to them.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I worked in frys electronics for.... 2 hours... then got fired.... yeah... fired 2 hours after i was hired...

Beat that... (Technically Bard2dbone has not been fired...)

But whets weird is... I never really worked in huge place... most places I worked was small business so you know who is nuts... when I was dealing with contracts on fixing stuff and helping out... quite few companies I went to had those people... exactly the same… they would think everything anyone ever does or says to them is because they think they are weak… In small place everyone knows that this person is insane like that so they avoid her and don’t pay attention to her complains… big place… I bet not… if you have a way… find out how many other people she complain about… probably A LOT…

There was a case I’ve seen… one lady thought that every time people laughed it was at her… filed complain for people laughing every time she heard it… and threatened to sue the company if they didn’t fire the person… and I mean you can be far, far away from her too… if she hears it… bam

Good luck... don’t harass any more people:)

Cheers

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
  14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's what I was thinking.

Your former boss should either:

A) Hire an IT consulting company

or

B) Go buy a few MCSE books and learn how to do a tape back-up and use network security.

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Back in the old USFL days, I lived in Flint, MI and one of my best friends was a fire-fighter. He and I used to go to the Michigan Panthers USFL games at the Pontiac Silverdome. The Panthers were about to play a play-off game (they eventually won the championship). Before the game, a reporter from one of the Detroit stations was doing fan interviews in the stands. They came up to my friend, whose name also happens to be James. Turns out he had called in sick, since his boss had told him the week before he wouldn't give him the time off.

The newsguy asked him his name. He said "James". Announcer asks "and your last name?". And he replies "James". After a bit of "Who's on 1st" type back and forth, they finally agreed he was "James J. James". Then the guy asks me my name. "James". :D Long story short, this zany interview aired on the Detroit station. Some one who saw it told his boss about it, because they thought it was genuinely funny. The boss, who had not seen it, drove 70 miles to the Detroit TV station and bought a copy of the interview as it aired and showed it at James' disciplinary hearing. They gave him the choice of resigning or being fired. He resigned and moved to Atlanta.

Peace,

James (but not James J. James)

16. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    One of my bass buddies worked at this law firm part time on school holidays and after school, all he had to do, as check that every single doucument that was sent up to him was signed, stamped and was for the law firm and not been given to hte by mistake. Anyway the job was kind of boring, and he got sick of working at night. On Christmas eve, he knew he was the only person in that section so he snuck his bass guitar into the storage room so he could play it later. He checked a few documents at the never ending pile and went into the store room to play his bass. You know how fast time goes when your stuck right into playing bass? Well my mate forgot about this, and it was pretty much time for him to knock off, so he walked out to just throw all the documents on the desk he as supposed to and ran back to the storage room to find his boss holding his bass. His boss had been watching him and then kicked him out. That sucks...

17. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Because google can pull up keywords and store things as a cached page, I won't go into details, but bottom line is:

*NEVER trust women in the workplace. They are not your equals.

*Document everything - very helpful if you wish to press charges or file a claim with the EOE or get unemployment benefits.

*Do not talk to women in the workplace at all unless it is work related. Watch out for eavesdroppers too.

18. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Gee, I can't imagine why you got nailed for sexual harassment.

I move that remark be struck from the record, as it makes you sound like a total and complete ass.

19. hah, yea, but i think hes quoting a google search. Still yet...