Worst Winter Ever for Bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by arnoldschnitzer, Feb 24, 2003.

1. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    This has got to be the coldest, driest, most accident-prone winter I've ever experienced as a Bass luthier. Not a day has gone by since early December I haven't gotten at least one call about a new crack or popped seam or loose crossbar or trip on the ice...and I've given my humidifier speech so many times I'm thinking of putting out a pamphlet, so I don't have to hear myself drone on any more. As for my personal humidifier saga, I'm sooooo tired of filling, re-filling and cleaning these infernal-but-necessary contraptions I'm ready to move to...Fiji!? How's everybody else dealing with this season from Hell?
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm keeping the humidifiers going, except for the "cleaning" part. The good news is, I never heard of spores hurting a bass. The bad news? In a few years, we may look back to find that all the old family videos end up looking like outtakes from "Day of the Triffids".....
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Headlines Of The Past (1998)
    Len Harlos Closes Shop; Moves to Puerto Rico
    babaseen likes this.
  4. I suppose if I don't complain, you'll think I'm not getting any gigs.
  5. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Man, it's no cupcake on the Great Plains of Oklahoma either, and we don't have trees to slow down the #$@&*&!$ wind either.

It has been in the single digits this week, with snow and ice. More snow for Wednesday, then again on Friday, and then again on Sunday. My kitchen pipes froze up (in spite of leaving the faucet dripping), and it isn't supposed to get above freezing until next week.

I'm getting worried about tomorrow. OKC finally gets some jazz to come to town (Dave Pietro-alto sax with David Berkman - piano, John Hebert - bass, and Nasheet Waits - drums). However, they have been in Kansas this week, which has been slammed by bad weather. North Oklahoma (which they will travel through) around Ponca City has 27" of snow, and they don't exactly have the snow plaw resources of the NE US.

On the plus side, bad weather isn't stopping anyone from coming out to the gigs. This weekend had people lined up outside Maker's Cigar Lounge (capacity of 120) for a seat until after midnight. Great tips too.

6. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Very cool. I was familiar with all except Hebert, although I do know he studied with Bill Huntington, a bassist from New Orleans that I really dig.

I have Waits on several recordings, and Berkman on one of my favorite Cecil McBee recordings.

7. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    We have been having an ice storm . Kind of a slap-stick humor to watch minor fender benders with folks in their all wheel drive SUV's slide around like bumper cars at the carnival. Unclear of the concept with regards to friction, momentum and gravity.

Indoor humidity however is fairly good at 45 to 65% without humidifiers, Outdoors is higher. Swelling sweems to be the larger concern. Still, after reading all the horror stories caused by weather and transporting, the option of a second EUB is gaining strong personal favor.
  8. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
  9. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Sweet!! My '98 V70 passed 100k this summer, and I hope to keep it for several more.

10. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I'm driving an 85 volvo GL sedan with 253 K on it and it's still going strong. And my bass fits in it to boot!

11. Yeah, I know what you mean. Here in South Texas, it got all the way down to 29 degrees a couple of days ago, AND actually dipped below freezing 3 days in a row!

Currently in San Antonio, it's 7:15pm, 41 degrees and 87% relative humidity.

Luckily, we're starting a "Warming Trend". I sure will be glad when this bitter cold lets up. Brrr!

The high temp this coming Sunday is predicted to be 72 degrees, though it's supposed to get down to 38 degrees for a low that night. :meh: