1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worth defretting or waste of time?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cerokilik, Oct 5, 2013.

1. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    I've been debating about whether to order a squier VM 70s J bass simply for the fact that I've been looking for a jazz bass with a natural finish and a maple neck. one thing that would be a major selling feature at least at this point in my opinion would be if it was fretless. So should i defret it?but then what do I use to fill in the spaces where the frets were? or should i order a neck from warmoth and hope it fits? a warmoth jazz neck will fit on one right? right?

thanks in advance

2. You can email warmoth with the model of the bass and they'll let you know if the neck will fit. They also have a list on the website of known compatible and incompatible bodies. If you defret it yourself, read up on how to pull up the frets without chipping the fingerboard. Use a matching color wood filler to fill the slots. Jaco put epoxy paint on the fingerboard after he defretted his J-Bass.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Don't ever use wood filler to fill the fret slots. That's been covered many times here - do a search or consult the sticky about defretting.

4. I stand corrected.

5. Please search TB for extensive discussions on defretting, filling the slots, and techniques used in the process.

And another resounding NO on the wood filler.

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You mean you can't use toothpaste & kitty litter?

7. Only if it's the best toothpaste and kitty litter for metal.