Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worth doing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Antipop, Sep 18, 2002.

1. I currently own a mid 90's Vantage P-bass. Neck is bent and the electronics could use a fix (seeing how the tone nob or volume doesnt work.
    Would it be a waste of time if I fixed it all up snazzy, put in either some EMG's or Lace Sensor pickups in it, getting chrom hardware and either selling it or if I really like it, then keep.

Would I be able to get my money back if I fixed it up and sold it?

Would it be worth fixing up, or will it still be a ****e of a bass?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Had the neck been OK - probably worth it.
    Add a new neck as well - No, not really.

I'd say check out some new alternatives - like the Essex basses everyone is raving about.

3. well its really only a bend in the neck. It's pretty bad but if it was starightened, it might be ok. Should I get the neck straightened then after that see where Im at?

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    just get a good setup on it.... I don't know if its worth slapping new pickups in it or not.. never played a vantage bass before... i do believe they are made by samick.. i could be wrong

5. well the pickups arn't that bad...its a real mellow tone. A sad tone

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    For what a set of pups and a setup will cost you, you could own a new Essex bass, or pretty close. I would say no, it isn't worth it.

7. It is definitely not worth it to install new pickups and hardware. Spring for new strings and a set up. If that works, you have a functional instrument for the investment of $50 or so. If it doesn't work, you've only sacrificed $50 or so.

8. thanks, Im going to go with a setup and strings.