1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worth doing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Antipop, Sep 18, 2002.

1. I currently own a mid 90's Vantage P-bass. Neck is bent and the electronics could use a fix (seeing how the tone nob or volume doesnt work.
    Would it be a waste of time if I fixed it all up snazzy, put in either some EMG's or Lace Sensor pickups in it, getting chrom hardware and either selling it or if I really like it, then keep.

Would I be able to get my money back if I fixed it up and sold it?

Would it be worth fixing up, or will it still be a ****e of a bass?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Had the neck been OK - probably worth it.
    Add a new neck as well - No, not really.

I'd say check out some new alternatives - like the Essex basses everyone is raving about.

3. well its really only a bend in the neck. It's pretty bad but if it was starightened, it might be ok. Should I get the neck straightened then after that see where Im at?

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    just get a good setup on it.... I don't know if its worth slapping new pickups in it or not.. never played a vantage bass before... i do believe they are made by samick.. i could be wrong

5. well the pickups arn't that bad...its a real mellow tone. A sad tone

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    For what a set of pups and a setup will cost you, you could own a new Essex bass, or pretty close. I would say no, it isn't worth it.

7. It is definitely not worth it to install new pickups and hardware. Spring for new strings and a set up. If that works, you have a functional instrument for the investment of $50 or so. If it doesn't work, you've only sacrificed $50 or so.

8. thanks, Im going to go with a setup and strings.