Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worth getting a Beta 57 to back up DI?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Just thought I'd post for some opinions on this. I've got an MXR D.I. which is real nice for my sound into the board, but I was thinking of getting a mic to use in conjunction with the D.I. to capture my distortion sound from the speakers.

I've been set on a Beta 57 for a while, but it's a lot of cash, so then I thought of getting a normal 57, but even then I thought that everyone and his dog has a spare 57 to use at studios or venues, so why bother?

My question is is it worth spending all that money on a Beta 57 when I've already got a high dollar D.I. and I can use a regular 57 that's on hand for the articulation of the cab? Is the Beta that much nicer? Is it even worth bothering giving your own mic to a soundguy who might just turn the channel down and bury you in the mix?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    IMO, You've just answered your own question.

Is the MXR sending the distortion to the PA? My Sansamp does and I presumed the MXR would do the same.

That said, this is more of a live Audio question than a recording question, so I'm going to move it to Misc.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id probably pick up an AKG D112 if I were going to pick up a mic for my cabs.

Its a kick drum mic and sounds great for bass.

Peace
    Nick

4. The MXR will send the signal to everything. It's pre-amp, but after all my FX so it gets the lot. I just wanted to know if the mic was worth it so that my rig doesn't become an expensive stage monitor.

As for the D112, I use them all the time on kick drums at work and they're great for a standard kick sound. On bass cabs they're great too, but redundant if I'm already taking a D.I., because all the lows are there from the D.I.. If I was just micing the cab I wouldn't even consider anything other than a D112 or a Beta 52, but in my situation the mic is an added bonus for the top end of the cab.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Somehow, I knew that was the response I was gonna get.

Well it all makes sense!

6. Well I went into the store yesterday to buy a Beta 58 for my vocals and they'd run out, so I was gonna leave but the salesguy convinced me to try a Beta 57 for vocals. I wasn't sure at first, because I know that on the regular 57 it doesn't have the pop shield that a 58 has, so I thought the same might hold true for a Beta 57. Not at all, the mic was excellent for vocal use, much better than a Beyer 60 and an EV 767a that I tried as well. The capsule is the same as a Beta 58, so it's a similar sound, just with a slightly different frequency response. Since I'm doing metal it's not all that important, but this mic won't stand up to somethine like a Beta 87 for live work, but it's a lot more robust(headstock into micstand).

Also, the upside is I've now got an awesome mic for any number of instrument applications, such as my bass cab, which is where it's going on my studio date. Also, I can use it live for vocals, or if the engineer doesn't like it, I'll use the house mic for vox and insist they use my Beta 57 on the cab.