Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worth going "Balanced" to PowerAmp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jul 24, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Golem's turned me onto a new pre/poweramp hookup strategy. the last post sorta died, so i'm reviving it here.

he's been using a direct box between his preamp and poweramp, essentially going "balanced" between them. but i'm thinking of eschewing the box, and just running a nice XLR between them.

has anyone else tried this? i'm thinking of using my Demeter's balanced DI out and going into my Stewart World 1.2's balanced in on channel 1.

Would this harm either component? do i lose anything doing so?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

In a live situation, using balanced over unbalanced would have an effect on tone if you are running more than 10' of cable. (I assume you are using good quality unbalanced cable.) It won't hurt anything to use balanced. In the studio, you wil find a good balanced cable to be far better.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is difficult to imagine that the 1 foot of cable going from the preamp to the power amp would pick up enough interference or allow enough signal decay to even matter.

I may be wrong, but I can't imagine it having any effect whatsoever on the rig.

But as mentioned, if you are using a 15-20' cable in studio, XLR can make a difference.

Chas

4. I run entirely balanced XLR from SWR IOD to Rane to QSC amp. No hum, no buzz.

If you have the option, use it.

:D

5. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    As I was looking at my new Demeter, I was thinking the same thing. According to the user guide, the mic level XLR output goes through the Jensen transformer, while the line level 1/4" does not. Going through the transformer might add some tasty tone, so I'm going to try it, too. I wonder if there's a such a thing as "DI" tone?

Nightbass

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice,

i think i'll take a nice trip to Sam A$$ today. the only gripe i have is that there's no variable volume or gain on the XLR like there was on my old Eden WT400 or a friend's Kern IP777. my stewart's really sensitive to how much you pump thru it, and can start to fart out.

but we shall see...