Worth it to keep a beater bass going?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Inky13, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    My old Jusek is close to unplayable. I have a set of weedwackers that I’d like to put on to reduce the tension on a collapsing top. I would have to file away on the tailpiece and nut. Not too concerned about the bridge as it’s getting a bit potato chippy. I don’t know if I should hack away at it or not. The bass is sort of end of life and I just want to extend it. I’ve taken it to my tech but not much he can do. Due to the recent pandemic, my budget is zero. I don’t think I have anything to lose at this point. Man, there’s a sweet Kay locally that I would love to look at.

2. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Have you asked someone who could actually do the repair how much it would cost? That way, you can make your decision based on the worth of the bass (with other factors, such as how it sounds, how much you like it).

If it doesn't make economic sense to fix it, I would consider selling it to someone who is interested in working on it. You might be able to find a string shop that would take it in trade and knock off some of the price of a new bass for you.

It'd be a shame to just play it into the ground and end up throwing it on the scrap heap.

Seanto, PBandJazzBass, 16fuss and 4 others like this.
  3. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I think I’m going to do it. Just hitting the wall on several issues.
    Wish me luck.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021