1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by laboitenoire, Jun 20, 2007.

1. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    Alright, I've decided to replace the controls and wiring in my SX (decided to leave the peavey alone - I'll get a better 5 eventually) fretless, and so I've been pricing up what I plan to do. I'm thinking just the wiring harness and then also I'll shield the control and pickup cavities.

Right now, I've got it priced out at basspartsresource.com, and it'll cost me $30 after shipping for what I want. This will include:

- (2) 250k split-shaft CTS pots
    - 8 feet each of black and white wire
    - (1) Switchcraft jack
    - (1) .047 mfd Sprague cap
    - (1) 5' roll of 2" diameter copper foil

Just wondering if this will really help with the tone? I do want to at least shield, as the bass buzzes with the tone all the way up. Also, my tone knob barely works, and it crackles between the full on and full off positions. I'm attributing this to the cheap chinese cap and pot. Just wondering if people were pleased with the results of rewiring their SX?

P.S. I'm also planning to switch out the stock D'Addario flats for a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies, so that should improve the sound as well. It will definitely have the fretless "mwah" to it after that.

2. $30...is well worth it...it won't change the sound of your bass but it will definitely make it quieter...
    make sure that you use quality interconnect wire to do the job right.

As far as the strings...The D'Add nickel rounds sound awefully close to the EB slinkies, last a little longer, and cost a little less.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021