Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Casey C., Aug 19, 2002.

1. Yes!

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No!

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. Potato...

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Fender MIJ Carrot.

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Ah, the never ending search for a new bass.
    Today's bass:

How do you guys feel about getting a used MIM fender j-bass or a J-bass copy and "hot rodding" the bass? I'm thinking if I can find a beat up j-bass from ebay for cheap (like no more than $200) and refinish it and replace the hardware and the pickups (emg DCs maybe) and all that good stuff I could have a descent bass. Should I give this a try (if I find a winner) rather than buying a "ready to jam" bass?

2. GDJ

GDJ

Jun 15, 2002
    think of it this way...

ebay MIM jazz-$250 with ship
    refinish-$100
    new hardware-$100
    new pickups(also new pots and wiring)-$200
    all that good stuff-?

ok lets add it all up

250+100+100+200=$650+

now ask yourself...

is this better than any $650 bass?

I think you can find a better one. check local music and pawn shops for deals.

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I think it might be more like $50 for refinishing. I don't care too much if it's not the best looking finish.

so $600... hmm..

4. I'd just add a badass bridge, EMG j pups, refret (if need be), Hipshot ultra-lite tuners- your ready to rock. If you wanted to go all out you could add a Moses graphite neck too. I'd forget about a refin unless it's a truly horrible color.

5. I haven't checked Ebay lately, but I seem to think you could get a used MIA Hot Rod P for about that much.

6. I don't think that the cost involved reflects the enjoyment that comes from customizing a bass (or anything for that matter) and calling it "yours"

I'd say go for it....but I'd just find something w/ a decent finish. I'd put a new neck on, electronics, bridge. Prolly the most effort to result ratio you'll get.

Good luck!

edit: I forgot..just remember you can sell the old pieces that you don't want anymore...or save em for a new project for the future. That's the fun part.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i'd find a used warmoth. there are a couple on ebay right now.

8. If you get the MIM J-bass, get a J-Retro, and BadAss Bridge, and you've already got a pretty awesome bass. Upgrade the pups if need be, but after the Retro.

9. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    what about
    Jazz bass-200$
    Badass Bridge-70$
    Ultrajazz Pu's-100$
    J-Retro-250$
    Moses j neck-250$
    ultralight tuners-90$
    total-1060$

your (insert name here) signature model.....

priceless;) :D ;) :D

i'm in the process of doing this to a p bass sans the j retro and but i got the body on ebay, it's bassically

swamp ash body-30$
    Pots and control jacks-30$
    moses j neck-250$
    duncan SB3-p-60$
    badass bridge-70$
    tuners-90$

total-530$

it'll be neato!

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah - why not. If you had $650 to spend in the first place all at one time then yeah- get another good condition bass. But, if you can only throw maybe $100 a month to it, and want the fun of customising it then go for it!

I have a couple fo basses that things will be happening to over the next 6 months or so. An MIM Jazz Fretless that will at least get new pups, maybe a new bridge and possibly a new scrathplate - but I like the colour! Also an SSD NSCR5 - this needs the full EMG DC40 and EMG BTS treatment! Also as it's high gloss black, I may get a guitar tech friend to do some snazzy artwork to it!

11. Look into my eyes, Johnny......

You are feeling sleepy.......

Say after me, "I don't need these basses any more. They are useless and a needless waste of space, time and money. And I will mail them south to John along with 200 cigarettes and a crate of strong lager, paying the carriage costs from my own wallet."

Are you doing it Johnny....

:D

John

12. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I think I like the jazz body better. I'm not 100% sure on that because it's been awhile since I've played both of them. I atleast like the jazz body because of looks.

Wouldn't be able to find what I want. Here's what I'm thinking:

J-styled bass
    No preference on woods
    Color: Black
    Black Perloid Pickguard
    Bad ass II bridge
    No preference on tuners
    Pickups: Either EMG DCs or P+J
    Active pre-amp of course, 3 band probably

BTW, I said refinish because if I find a good deal where the bass was beaten up, hopefully the electronic aren't working also. That would be the ideal bass for this project. I'll look around. There maybe 1 pawn shop locally :( So I may have to ask in Pittsburgh.

13. Ah yes. The poll. (Sorry, got carried away whilst making room for my two new ex-Scottish basses).

I vote NO.

IMHO, the money spent usually comes to more than it would cost to buy a really good used bass from a good maker: especially if you've got to buy the bits all brand nw.

John

14. Well, I think its a good idea.

Here is my plan.

Essex sjb-62: $140
    Maple P neck: Traded for the Essex jazz neck. $0
    New Pickguard: $20
    J-Retro: $200
    New Pickups: $80

Grand total: $440, and IMO itwill be better than most $440 basses on the market.

My vote had to go to potato, because it isn't a Yes/ No answer. For me, it was a Yes. For you, make your own decision.

15. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    just curious, whats up with the j-retro? how's it sound? Whats it capable of doing?

16. ANYTHING you want your Jazz to do. :D

17. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe the last option in a poll should always be carrot, not potato

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude, if you get a mim jazz and add a j-retro to it, you'll probably be surprised at how awesome it sounds, with no other mods.

19. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    How are Essexs? I see those around for $120!

BTW, Is there a website for the j-retro?

edit:nevermind, found it

20. Essex's are like MIM Fender's, but have alder or ash (which I find better) bodies instead of poplar.

They are well worth the money.