1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

worth modding a squier P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lukas86, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hey all,
    I was considering buying a new highway one P bass, but I have already spent a fair amount on a new am.std. jazz, so I was thinking of modding my old squier P that I have come to love. It doesn't seem to give me that nice chunky p-bass tone, so what kinds of mods would improve it? And secondly, is it worth doing this on a squier ($300 bass)?

Will putting on a better bridge, like the Badass on the highway one's make much difference.? Is it worth changing the pickups, or putting in another pickup at the bridge?

Help would be much appreciated.

Lukas

2. DiMarzio + Squier = Sex on a Bass.

Bass002-2.

3. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What's that sound like??? do you have clips?

4. A Badass II and a higher output pickup like a Quarter Pounder makes a Squier sound like a whole new bass. I've got two Fender Ps with these mods and for what I'm doing with them, they are absolutely perfect. A buddy of mine has an old Squier with the same mods done and I'll be damned if I can find any difference in sound between his Squier and either one of my Fenders when plugged into my rig. :bassist: Do it!

5. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have modded several Squier P basses and have always loved the results. I actually really like the Squier P pickup.

6. I'm always in favor of modding less-expensive basses. The need to tinker can be satisfied, and you can learn about what works and what doesn't.

...Plus, if it gets broken / stolen at a show, you're out less $$$...

7. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    DSCN1129.

I think its worth it to mod a lower end bass. Thats my Squier P-bass.

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    If you like the way your Squier plays, and it feels comfortable, then it's probably worth it to mod. First, though, I'd try different strings to try to get the tone you are looking for.

If that doesn't get you where you want, new pickups can make a big difference. A new bridge might make a subtle difference. IME, though, it's minimal and sometimes it's hard to adjust the saddles on a new bridge like the Badass as low as the originals.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Mod your Squier if you want, or scour the TB classifieds for a used Am. Standard Precision. :)

10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    + 1 for the Quarter Pounder. That mod alone will make a huge difference. I tried Duncans for the first time in a custom I had built and I LOVE the tone!! And yes, I did use the Quarter Pounder P in the neck position.

Also, IMO, adding a second pickup near the bridge will give you more "edge" on your sound as opposed to the "chunky" tone you're looking for.

I have no experience with Badass bridges so I cant comment on that piece of hardware but I am a HUGE Duncan fan now!

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's worth it!!!

Picture001-1.

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    So do you want a more modern p bass tone like mark hoppus? He uses the duncan spb3 quarter pounder. I bought it and hated it. I also had the dimarzo split p bass and that was better but it wasnt as growly and fat as I wanted. I bought the nordstrand np4s and loved them. They were the best p bass pickups I have ever tryed.

13. It's funny how some people love QPs and others absolutely HATE them. I suppose it's just like anything else...it depends on your playing style, attack and overall personal preference. As someone who plays sludgy, down-tuned stuff, I love them.

Also, I've seen a lot of posts saying that changing your dinky, stock bridge to something high-mass like a Badass will make little to no difference in tone or sustain but I've noticed the difference immediately after modding each of my P-basses with one. Call me crazy. Again, I suppose it all comes down to personal stuff. It's so hard to give...and listen to...advice on a column like this because while we all happen to have low frequencies in common, we are all so incredibly different.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it may be!

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I put a the Seymour Duncan vintage SPB-1 P pickup and put a Gotoh bridge on my squier and have been very pleased with the results.

15. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Worth it.. I love this Squier Vintage Modified..

[​IMG]

16. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I am modding a Squier P bass by adding a G&L MFD humbucker and a tapped pot in the bridge position. I did this once before with a Fender double jazz pickup and it sounded great.

17. Thanks heaps for your input. Firstly, I will definately change the dinky bridge, maybe to a Badass II. And then will consider changing the pickups.

18. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Like I said, I thinks its worth it to mod. If its a bass that you have a sentimental connection with, have a blast. In the end you'll still have that bass you're attached to and it will have the specific parts you want in it. If you get a "high end" factory bass, there may some components you like but there may also be some components you dislike.

19. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    If you love it mod it. Names on your headstock mean nothing.