Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worth switching out my 8x10 for 2 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Sep 16, 2004.

1. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Not just for convenience sake, but for sound.

Thinking of getting 2 Eden or 2 Aquilar cabs whether it be (2) 4x10's or (1)4x10/(1)1x15. I haven't seen any of either at my local stores so I can't really test them out.

I posted a thread earlier on how my sound wasn't the best, and it still isn't that great to me. I figured some of the high end stuff would provide that extra clarity i'm looking for. Any opinions on these cabs (XLT or XST for Eden)?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    For the most part the cabs won't make much difference, though the drivers will. Making a logical choice involves knowing the frequency response and other specs of the particular drivers, something few if any manufacturers will reveal. For instance, Ampeg dosn't want you to know that SVTs are loaded with drivers that cost them about $25 each (and that the same drivers are used in about 60% of the ten cabs on the market). Since you can't compare based on driver specs (and good luck finding a real SPL chart!), hands-on testing is really your best bet.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You really need to try them out yourself, or you will always be questioning your decision.

Example, I bought Aguilar 4x10 and 1x15 cabs originally, thinking the 1x15 would give me more lows. Later, I got a chance to A/B my rig with TWO 4x10's instead, and I got more lows, MUCH more, and tighter lows. You need to try them for yourself to decide.

4. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Eden and SWR I think DO custom build their drivers. I KNOW Eden does becuase It has the whole story right on their website about the whole psycho acoustic phenomena that happen. Ampeg puts standard drivers and horns in their SVT stuff... the "classic" stuff.

Originally I was led to believe that 4x10s were for punch, and 1x15s or 1x18s were for low end. Damn, I was really wrong. I mean that's not an uncommon misconception becuase think about it... bigger speaker, better low response. Nope. Not even close. Smaller speakers in series do much better with low end... Check out Phil Jones' stuff if you don't believe me. A 15" cab is for the lower low-mid punch, 4x10s will handle the low end very sweetly. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if you have enough power to drive some 18s with a seperate crossover, I bet they'll be able to handle that bass like it's nothing.

5. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I was looking into the 4x10 hlf series or the 6x10...both of these cabs are ported which supposedly give better lows (1 thing im looking for) and adds tweeters that the 8x10 doesn't have. Maybe have my svt-4 in stereo for the 4x10 hlf for lows and possibly another 4x10 (maybe a standard ampeg) for the highs?

Right now it is mono bridged into the 8x10 which doesn't seperate the frequencies. I never liked the idea of not having a crossover to distribute the lowend and high end properly. I do get a lot of power now, so would making it stereo decrease the volume a lot?

6. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Ah yes, the 410 HLF... that thing is quite a monster. I played through one of these, and an SVT classic head a while back... MASSIVE low end. That thing sounded NICE. Even just halfway up it was amazing. The ports definitely helped, becuase I also played through a classic series 410 and an SVT3 Pro. Although nice, the rig did not perform as "fully" as the HLF did. If you want massive low end, grab a few of those 410 HLFs... wow I never thought about it. Yeah those would definitely put out quite a fat sound.

7. a schroeder 21012 and a schroeder 410

BOOM CITY!

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i personally think that the eden xst's are worlds better at clarity (to my ears) than their xlt stuff.

i haven't tried aggie cabs with 10"s, but i think the eden xst line is great ffor having a great full sound and punch.