Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worth the price of admission: custom lefty carvin lb70

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amos, Jan 21, 2004.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I personally know the owners of this local music shop and on consignment they have this beautiful saphire blue custom lefty carvin lb70 with two lovely active jazz pickups. the bass is light, the neck is thin, and it has a matching headstock to boot. looks absolutely brand new, $650. I'm going to bring my cans in and get a good listen and mess around with the different tones available to make my final decision.

what do "ya'll" think?

2. I personally think Carvins are well worth the money, and for what you could get that one for, it's a good buy. Calling it 'Custom' isn't really necessary, because most Carvins are 'custom' in some way.

In my experience, the pickups aren't the best, but they reproduce string vibration just like any other. They could be a bit more...I don't know...tasty, I guess.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Is that a maple top, or the sapphire stain over the standard maple neck/alder body? If the latter, my take is that it's priced a tad too high. Not ludicrously high, if it's really in near-new shape, but still a bit high. I say this as a Carvin fan who's owned, used, and liked LB basses. You can get a new blue LB70 with case and shipping for a little over $800, and you'd get the warranty as well. If the one you're considering has a figured maple top, that does make the deal a little better, because it costs more to order those new.

If I were you, I'd see if I could get that price down a bit, or at least see if I could get a free setup and strings out of the deal. But the bottom line is, if you end up loving the bass, $650 is not an outrageous amount, and it is at least a bit less than you'd pay new.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    it was a saphire blue on flame top with matching headstock, ebony fretboard/maple neck. i got it tonight and its beautiful and plays wonderfully.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Congrats! :cool: Enjoy the bass.