Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worth the $$$$$$$$????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bad Ass Bass, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Bad Ass Bass

Bad Ass Bass Banned User

Jul 18, 2000
    I was thinking of buyiny a new Ibanez GSR200. most places want like $250-$300 for it.do you think its worth it? also does this model have active pick ups?

2. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    Bad Ass Bass,
    I'm going to start by saying, have you played this bass? Have you listened to it? is it worth it to you?

The reason I'm saying all of this is simple: I was looking to get a GSR100 Left handed (cuz I'm backwards), but everybody wanted more than I was willing to spend, but I loved the way it felt and sounded. They wanted more than $350.00 for it and it had been in the store for over a year.....I eventually went with a fender squier p-bass special left-handed, because it was cheaper, had the same qualities I was looking for and I could not get a GSR100 for under $275.00.

But if you just want my opinion, yes, it is worth it....especially if it is new.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bad Ass:

I've never played or seen the bass model you mentioned, but I'd like to let you know that active electronics don't necessarily make an instrument a better bass, especially in the price range you described. Is this your first bass? In that case, I'd go with an Affinity P-Bas a really good instrument for the $200 or less you can get it for.

Will C.:cool:

4. Hey,hey,hey!

I have an Ibanez GSR190,which is,I believe,one step down from the GSR200.My bass came in the Jumpstart bass pack.Not a bad bass for an entry level instrument but there are better basses for the buck out there...either new or used.

But,if you have played the bass and it feel/sounds good to YOU,then buy it!! :)

The pickups on mine are passive,not sure about yours but I would hazard a guess that they are also passive.

The neck is nice(got small hands here)and I am quite fond of mine,but am still looking to buy a bit of a higher end*looking pompous*ax come tax time.

Bottom line:if she feels good to you and all....buy her!They are light and seem to stay in tune really well.

Happy Spending!
    Usul

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The GSR200 is better than the GSR100, but you should be able to find it for $200. It is passive with P-J pickups. If I were you, I'd get a MIM Jazz bass for $300 rather than the Ibanez. But, there's nothing fatally wrong with the 200. Just try to get a better deal.
    Good luck.