Worth upgrading a Yamaha RBX170?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Hey,

The '170 is my first bass, and I've been thinking of getting another to replace it.
    Then I realised, since I do actually like this bass and any new bass in my current price range isn't going to be that big of an improvement, if I should just upgrade what I've got now.

The bridge would obviously be the first thing to change, but what options (if you think that it would be worth upgrading) would be best from a pickup standpoint?

That and any other info you wish to throw out would be useful.
  2. I did a few things to my RBX264 - added shielding, changed the bridge, changed the pickups (to Seymour Duncan quarter pounders), added straplocks, disconnected the tone control(!)

I don't think changing the bridge really did anything apart from changing the looks (black rather than chrome). The shielding was really worthwhile - at least for playing at home. Not too sure about the pickups. At the time I changed them I was using a keyboard amp and noticed no difference at all. I got a much bigger (and better) change to the sound when I got a GK400RB amp and an Avatar 210.

If I were to change anything else I guess I'd like to find some black tuners (to match the bridge) and would like to have the fret ends filed now as they're a little rough.

(Mainly though these days I'm now on the look out for a reasonably priced Music Man Sterling with maple fingerboard, in maybe black cherry burst or burnt apple finish...)