Worth Waiting for a 'Wick???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Okay, I'm serisously GASing for a new bass, like unbelieveably bad right now! I'm looking to upgrade from my Peavey Millenium BXP, so anything "could" do. What I really want and love are Warwick Corvette Standards, but I cant afford to fork over a grand right now, so Im thinking of doing monthly payments.

I was just wandering if any of you out there could reccomend me any other basses in the up to $900us range, that I may be interested in. I guess if it helps, Ill be playing mostly modern rock, like Staind, Static X, Orgy, Limp Bizkit, etc etc. Also, Im a four string man, I cant wrap my hands around a 2x4 comfortably, so i dont even bother.

Any responses are appreciated, thanks!
  2. cant really go wrong with a rick.....and what the hell is GASing?
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome
  4. aight, cause i was gonna say, beano will make you stop gasing.....
  5. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Go a warwick standard vette.

Warwicks fit into the music you stated you're playing very well.
  6. neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    I would say go for a Spector Euro. Badass basses. Better than some Warwicks.
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Why not get a used one? You can get a 4 for $500-600 easily on the used market, and they are usually well taken care of.
    Check the For Sale section, they pop up sometimes
  8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 Check Ebay. They pop up quite often, alot of them for only $600 or so.
  9. Okay, I will definately keep my eye on Ebay, but the problem is, I need the amount of the bass in cash up front for my girlfriends mom to do that for me. (My mother wont bid for me, and im not 18 yet.) Whereas I can go to Guitar Center, or maybe Bass Central and make monthly payments for a year or like 40 bucks or something.

A question about the care of a 'wick... I know it comes with wax and other treatment items, what is the proper cleaning regiment??? Why is it that Warwick includes this in their "bass bundel"???

Thanks alot, so far, I'm getting set straight
  10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    With these monthly payments, you end up paying much more.
    There isn't just ebay. Check the local used market and also check the classifieds here.

Wax: when it's new, apply once two weeks for a month or two. Later you can reduce that to once a month or once two months without problems.
    Apply a bit of wax with a cloth, leave it to soak in for a couple of minutes, then buff thoroughly with a clean cloth. Will look very beautiful after waxing, and no worries about micro-scratches :cool:
  11. haha i just got mine last night, its beautiful...swamp ash, natural oil finish. Sounds fantastic. Then went out and heard one tonight being played by one of my fave bands, sounded huge, the tone is awesome...my low b has so much grunt its not funny!! I can't recommend it enuff, its worth the saving. Can send pics lol
  12. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    +2 for eBay. There's a fretless Vette with EMGs that I'm checkin out right now...
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    1. Asking people to recommend other basses is not a good idea cuz everyone is going to recommend whatever bass they like most which is completely subjective unless they're telling you you should get a Bongo. :) Read the reviews here, not a single person that's bought one has has given it anything but rave reviews.

2. If you want to buy something in payments, check out www.americanmusical.com and their EZ pay plan. You can pay for items over $500 in 3 installments, they don't check your credit history, you can do it with a debit card, and you don't get charged any interest. I kid you not. Not sure how they pull that one off but I'm happy they do.

3. Play lots and lots of basses before making a purchase. I owned a corvette, loved many things about it, but the weight and my inability to get the mids out of it that I wanted had me buying other basses till I was finally satisfied with the Bongo. The other basses I had btwn that and the Bongo were an American P-deluxe, a Sterling, a Streamer pro M, and about 15 basses under $500. I really think there's a noticable difference in bass quality once you pass the $900 range.
  14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 With frank about not recommedning payments. You do pay more, and you may decide at some point that the bass isn't for you before you've paid it off. Also I think you need some established credit to make payments. I would just save up and buy it outright, new or used.
  15. The only problem I truthfully have with paying the entire thing off at once is that I dont make enough money to do that. If I were to wait, I wont be getting a new bass for another year or two, which is not cool.

I was thinking of buying through music123, or musiciansfriend, and am still looking into zzounds, and a few other online dealers. Anyone with past experiences making payments through these?

Also, has anyone ever heard of making payments through ebay? I know you can use paypal, but what about just making monthly payments to the seller? Has this ever happend?

PS, I dont think I can afford to make just 3 payments on a bass, if I could, I would go to Bass Central, as I think that is how they operate.

Still searching,
  16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, Ryan, tough call.

If you want to get the bass now and pay monthly parts, you can only buy new, and thus you have to pay more. Not to mention that the option for monthly payments costs extra - whether it has a stated interest rate, or is built into the price or the conditions is a different matter.

If you wait and save up, you can buy used. You can find Corvettes around $500 - or even less.

My advice: wait and save up. That's what most of us do/did.
    Summer jobs, selling things you don't need, etc, and some time later, you'll have the money together. You just have to be patient.