Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worthless b-string help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've just recently joined a band with a really heavy sound and they tune down to C standard on there guitars. I play a 5-string stingray tuned G, C, F, A#, D# which virtually makes my b-string(or G-string) dead or so low you can barely make it out. I play through a SWR studio 220 head and 2-Mesa Boogie 4x10 RR cabs. Is there anything that I could add to my rig to make the B have as even an output as the other strings ? I just recently bought a ADA MB-1 preamp off of ebay and haven't gotten it yet but I don't think thats the answer in this case or is it?

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    That low G is verrrrry low. I know this is an expensive idea but have you considered trying a bigger speaker-i forget the freq. of low F# which isn't that much lower[JT?]-i don't think the 10s could handle that low as effectively which is probably why you aren't hearing it as well. Speakers as you know only perform so well in a certain range if you go below that range it will sound noticeably softer since they weren't made to go that low. Worst case scenerio is that you won't have even response, most expensive scenerio you buy an Elf System from Bag End. Hope i helped. thats all

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not that familiar with many of Bag Ends products whats an Elf system and what do they run? Do you think a 15" somewhere in there would help?

4. why don't you just tune it standard? you can play a low C on your B string. it's right there on the first fret.

5. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Honestly dancehall I've thought of that and even tuning up so as my b-string is my c-string but its just the way I'm trying to do it seems more natural to me as well as comfortable. If I tune up the strings become too tight even with the action changed to compensate. Thanx though.

6. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I think you'll have very tough going reaching for low G (24.5 Hz.) with that. To get the bass playable, you'd need huge strings (maybe .150+" for the G), and then for the amp: large speakers and around 2000 watts to do it justice. And for what? People can't discern pitch down there anyway. Piano goes down to "only" low A (27.5 Hz.). Why not just get lighter gauge strings and tune C-F-Bb-Eb-Ab? That low C (32.7 Hz.) will be plenty low enough, IMO.

OTOH, if you have the money for a rig that will do 24 Hz. with any conviction, then go for it. I don't think a few extra notes are worth spending thousands of dollars to get.
    - Mike

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Why tune to G? my band plays 2 different tunings..
    guitarists uses

C# F# B E G# C# F#
    A D G C F E A D

Both 7 string guitar users

I just use 1 bass tund
    A C# F# B E

My Trace Elliots work fine with the Low A :) And i use a 4x10.