1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worthless Craigslist Ads...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by itsalljustaride, Feb 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    Why do people even bother with something as useless as this?

Screenshot 2016-02-26 13.13.31.
    One sentence run-on? Check. Least info possible? Check. Ambiguous as to whether they even want a person to play, or just a guitar? Check.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    "Worthless" and "CraigsList" are somewhat redundant, no ;) ? And that "open minded mature" part scares me :nailbiting:.

Alik, MattZilla, 40Hz and 2 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "young at heart" = old fart

"jamming classic stuff" = Sit around in my garage and talk about the good old days.

"Open minded players only" = Gotta be able to put up with my rants and dope smoking. And you can't call me out on all my mistakes.

Sounds like fun! :cool: I say you go for it.

4. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    Must have own equipment and massage oil???

5. People don't seem to put much thought into things anymore, or maybe I'm just being nostalgic about how ads were when you had to pay for them word by word.

6. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    Wait, so I have to bring a massage table and massage oil? That's a lot to make one guy bring.

itsalljustaride likes this.
  7. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm 90% sure there would be no response if I did email him, since it was probably made at 11:30PM on a Sunday night, and the idea then swiftly abandoned the next morning when the buzz wore off.

Sadly, this is the norm for my area too. I consider it a banner day when a musician ad contains even one period and a word count over 10-15.

whatizitman likes this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The best ads on CL involve "open-minded" and "mature."

;) :D

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

The majority of Craigslist users have no frikkin' idea how to sell items or themselves! Poor language. Piss poor pictures. Important information left out or deceiving information given (Fender bass is actually a Squier).

And yeah, most don't even respond!

itsalljustaride likes this.
  10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I love when it's obvious that they couldn't sell themselves well enough to get a pay-for-play gig and part of the ad is something about gigging 2+ times a month.

11. The buyers aren't much better. They send me questions about an item that is clearly spelled out in the ad.
    It's not as bad as when I used to drive 4 hours (round trip) to job interviews in Bangkok where the first question they asked me was clearly on my resumé (CV) and basically was a disqualifier from my answer to the question, which they either could have read from my CV or asked me on the phone.

12. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    It was probably texted as an email while driving. Someone had a thought and just acted on it. Probably forgot about it by the time they got home.

DirtDog and itsalljustaride like this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great! Now we can add texting while driving, short term memory loss and driving under the influence to this guy's list?????

The hits just keep on comin'!

hintz likes this.
  14. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Just saw this gem. W. T. F. :rollno: :laugh:

"Not a Local Yokel Musician"

I'm a musician that don't fit in with the prevalent (local) scene...

I know how to compromise.

I treat strangers with common courtesy.

I debate rather than argue.

I can befriend and work with musicians from different walks of life.

I can befriend and work with musicians with different influences and favorites than mine.

I don't ex-communicate or backstab if you have a different opinion.

I don't judge musicians based on their income level, neighborhood they live in, race, sexual orientation, alma mater, etc.

I don't expect to have beckon call to lives of the musicians I work with.

I toured for years with musicians with different tastes and opinions than mine, and got along just fine.

I 'connect' first with musicians in-person, usually while playing music, not on Twitter or Facebook.

I tend to be inclusive, not look for reasons to be exclusive.

I don't scrutinize musicians I've never heard or met.

I don't expect something for nothing.

I'm not a goody-2-shoes.

I'm not arrogant.

I'm not superficial.

I'm not whimsical.

I'm not narcissistic.

Anyone really truly have something substantial to offer, and ready to get down to brass tacks so to speak? If interested, tell me what type of instrumentalist you need and the applicable details. If I fit the bill, I'll reply asap.

Bass Master General likes this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Some people will do anything to keep their inbox full.

Craigslist is slowly becoming the electronic equivalent of one of those old old pen pal exchanges.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Best I ever saw was the ad the began "Working band with confirmed gig looking for…" and it then proceeded to list every position you could think of. Drums, keys, guitar, bass, vocals, you name it.

A buddy of mine said she was half tempted to reply on the off chance Kylie Minogue's handler's were putting a new band together for her. ;) :laugh:

17. pharfenagen

pharfenagen

Feb 22, 2015
    Falmouth, KY
    I don't even reply to email only craigslist ads anymore. I never get a response back or I do and it turns out to be really shady stuff. ive tried to buy the same danelectro bass 4 times over the last year or so. started at $350 and has gone all the way down to $200 even though I told the guy I was prepared to pay in full when he had it at $250. we keep getting to the "set a time and location" phase and then he drops off. ive started flagging his ads

18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Better too little information than too much if you don't want to scare away responders.

Of course, I'm in a smaller community. In a big city you probably want a wordy ad to scare away people.

Also writing effective ads is far from a standard course in high school. Why are so many people surprised at what they see on craiglist?

19. Ol' Dub

Ol' Dub

Nov 6, 2014
    Washington
    I see you found my ad do you want to jam or what I can hang any time this week thanks

wintremute and hintz like this.
  20. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    There was a long period where I would be asked about once a week if I wanted to "jam" with people who were probably perfect candidates for that type of boring noodle session. There are plenty of non-musicians hanging around the margins of any scene who probably don't even care what songs they play.