wot the hell!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 5, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i am trying to expand my sound and am wondering do guitar pedals work on basses or do i have to buy extra bass ones?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    This was brought up in some other thread, I don't remember where. I've heard really good things about both the Danelectro Fabtone and Daddy-o. The best thing to go by, though, is what they sound like so you should go and try out any of the pedals you are considering. There a buch out there that work fine with bass, but a lot of guitar effects aren't manufactured to handle the low frequencies. They end up getting mangled or cut off altogether. Boss makes bass pedals for a reasonable amount of money, and I've had good experiences with them.

To summarize: Try each individual pedal and find which one works.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Pedals don't care if you drive them with a guitar, a bass, a keyboard, a mike or a CD player.

Although you see things like "bass chorus" and "bass distortion" pedals you don't NEED to use them, I have a generic Boss chorus and an old Fuzz Face that work fine for me. Until the mid 80s you didn't see effects just for bass, so bassists HAD to use the same boxes guitarists did. Effects made for bass usually are designed to not lose any bottom end; guitar pedals sometimes roll off low frequencies.

So if you already own some guitar pedals, go ahead try 'em and see if they do the trick for you.