Would 300 watts smoke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by five7, Jan 25, 2022.

1. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    tblurker, arbitrary and kobass like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That amp is probably amazing.

If it's in your budget let Ben give it the once over and do the retube. Then I think you'll be very happy for a long time.

ryan pate and five7 like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that Ben has retired.

4. Seems expensive considering it needs a retube and service on day 1.

5. WG Plum

WG Plum Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Given there are basically two of these and they won't get made again, not surprised by the premium price. Verellens weren't cheap to begin with.

6. I think I'd prefer a Meatsmoke. Is this a 6 string or bass amp, or both/neither? Maybe only two were made because it wasn't the best idea?

Viggo51 likes this.
  7. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    FWIW, Ben has only retired from taking new orders, he is still servicing existing amps.

This is a tough one, though. That's close to what the Meatsmoke cost new and more than double what the Loucks cost new. If you absolutely have to have that specific tone then sure. But by the time you buy this, ship it to Ben for service, pay him for the service, and get it shipped back, you'll have probably spent significantly more than you would have on a used Meatsmoke.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I had not heard this, that's a good stand-up position to take post retirement and I'm glad to see customer service/support continuing.

9. and don't forget the cost of a sextet of new KT88 tubes! ($300+)

inthevelvet, five7 and Obese Chess like this.
  10. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    I've seen other Sleep gear being sold on my local SF CL for absurd prices...I guess if you want pedigree gear, then go for it, otherwise, there are so many great amps out there that will do this trick and more.

five7 likes this.
  11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Have you looked into the cost of re-tubing? That is why I sold my SVT head all those years ago in the early 90's. Even then, the cost of a set of tubes, both pre- and power together, approached what I paid for the head used. Instead, I took the money, purchased a Carvin PB300 head, and I am still using the head with no repairs or adjustments, albeit in the rehearsal hall rather than gigging due to the DI output starting to get a little noisy. Yes, almost 30 years of use for a solid state head and still going strong.

five7 likes this.
  12. And from the bass community at large we all should be extremely greatful and glad guys like you are still around.

13. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    I have a 200 watt Meatsmoke and it's killer... I gotta push the clean channel at 200 with a 3 piece band, though we're generally loud. I haven't heard the Loucks and have never seen a 300 watt version before.

That's an ok price, since they are not being made any more. Ben will still service amps - but you need to pay to have it shipped to / and shipped back from him, so that's a pretty pretty hefty cost. And as mentioned above, the cost of new tubes.

6 years of road is a lot. I think $1700-1800 would be a good price for this, if you can talk the seller down, but since there are only so many Verellen amps out there, I think that's gonna be tough.

14. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    upload_2022-1-25_15-18-3.png

Pic related

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    You're probably looking at $400 in glass before service since that what it cost me for my Ampeg SVT-CL with KT88s.

NKBassman likes this.
  16. JFlo

JFlo Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2019
    I'm still kicking myself for passing on the 100w Loucks that was in the Talkbass store for $1200 a few years ago. The one that got away...

17. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I love my Meatsmoke, but I shudder to think about
    1. Paying for a new sextet of power tubes
    2. Shipping it to Seattle anywhere for servicing by Ben any reason
    I'm sure that amp rules, but it's definitely on the expensive-side of what I'd consider reasonable.
    I would also assume that a Loucks Smoke would also be more suitably voiced for guitar.

Obese Chess and Sparky Mark like this.
  18. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
  19. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Question might be what cab pairs well enough with this head to make it worth it?

monsterthompson and five7 like this.
  20. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    You can buy some nice brand new solid states for 2 Gs or less!

five7 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022