Would a 6-string split coil pickup work on a 7-string bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cjazz50, Jun 11, 2001.

1. I'm thinking about having Dave Pushic make me a 7-string bass, but I can't seem to find any pickups for it. The Bartolini G6 pickup is wide enough but I don't know if it will pick up the D string very well.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Why do you think it'll have a problem with the D (or did you mean B)?

There are 4 models of G6, two each deeper or brighter. If you're doing a 7 you could put in two pickups, deeper at the neck, brighter at the bridge.

I have full width Bart soapbars in my 7, don't know the model. They work fine.

Have you figured out what string spacing (and neck radius) you'll be using? This is key.

You may want to consult with John Turner about this.
  3. I am going to be using the Hipshot 7-string bridge. It has a total width of 99mm. The only Bartolini pickup wide enough is the G6, which has a maximum width of 100mm. The problem is that it is a split coil inside of a soapbar casing. The D string would be right over the split. I need to know if this would affect the volume or sound. I think the fingerboard radius will be flat enough to work with any flat pickup.

The other possibility is to get Bartolini's actual 7-string pickups. The problem is that they are't in the catalog and he says on his site that he doesn't have time to answer questions sent by e-mail.
  4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's the problem with dealing with Bartolini. Great electronics...way too busy.

My soaps are 125mm x 30mm. My neck is 4" (100mm+) at the 24th fret.

John has more experience with super wide pickups than anyone I know. I consider him an authority on 7+ string basses. Ask him (pm or email). He loves talking about this stuff;)
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my ears are itching :D

seymour duncan also makes 7 string wide pickups, in a variety of configurations, not just split coil.

bart also makes direct replacement pickups for the yamaha TRB 6 bass, that bill conklin uses in some 7 string basses. there's also the "bill dickens" signature bart pickups that would work - very similar to the trb replacement pickups.

unfortunately lane poor is no more - they were my favorite 7 string pickups. i've heard rumors that he might return to the pickup world - that would be a great thing if it happened.
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    His site is back up, JT
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i just noticed that today. i wonder what that portends.
  8. What is the address of Lane Poor's site?

Edit: Nevermind. I just found it. You have to put the "www" in front of it.
  9. I'm in the same boat here...

I'm trying to find some pickups for a 7-string custom, and I'm having no luck. I really don't want to have to shell out big bucks for custom pickups, but that may be the only route.

I emailed the Seymour Duncan guys, and I got a reply saying that they don't have 7-string bass pickups and would have to tool up to do so... That's not a good thing for my pocketbook.

So what are my other options here? Barts would probably take forever to get ahold of. Are custom pickups my only option? If so, about how much could I expect to pay?
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've heard that dealing with Bartolini's rep instead of direct is much faster.
  11. It looks like I'm definitely going to have to go with Bartolini, but I would assume that custom pickups from them would set me back a LOT of money. Do they make any 7-string specific models? I know they're not listed on their site, but ya never know...

I've seen so many 7-strings around, it'd be insane if all of those pickups were custom jobs. What I'm really looking for are a couple of 7-string Bartolini quad coils, but I've heard that many people don't like the quads. Any reasons why?
  12. I just ordered a pair of Bart's for my new 6'er, the xxM56CX and C which are quad coils. I haven't heard anything bad about them. I can't imagine what would be not to like.
  13. Actually now that I think about it, I think the main gripe against the quad coils was that they may be overkill in the versatility department. I personally don't see how more versatility could really be a BAD thing. Of course cost could be an issue, but I don't really know.

So I'm back to searching for some 7-string pickups now. Does anyone know if the "Bill Dickens signature model" is available from Bartolini and what kinda prices I'd be looking at? I would assume those pickups are single coil, but I don't know. Anyone with a little info, feel free to post.

I may just have to email JT... I just hope he doesn't try to talk me into building some crazy double-necked 8 string monstrosity. Hell, it's all his fault that I tried the Conklin GT7 to begin with :)
  14. David,
    Did you figure somthing out for the pickups? If not, I am building a 7 and I talked with Bass Northwest and they said that they can get Barts for me, and they appear to be a stockable item. I haven't talked in person with their pickups guy yet, but I will likely order through them. If you found something else out, I would be interested to know.

15. I actually never went ahead with getting that bass built. I was going to have Dave Pushic build it, and he made it sound like getting 7-string pickups was no big deal at all. That's the last information I got on the subject. I (wisely) decided that I don't have what it takes to play a 7-string. At this point I doubt I can even play the 5-strings I've got :(

If I happen to come across something else in passing, I'll post it here.
  16. Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    The Seymour Duncan custom shop is the place I've found for my 7 string project. They were quite responsive to my demand and they are resonably priced for a custom job. Email them, they're nice poeple:)
  17. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    tho they're not listed in the catalog, Bartolini DOES make 7 string pickups, usually in stock in the G6 (split coil) or P4 (quad coil) shapes, depending on string separation. In fact I just got in a G6-7 pickup for a project.

You just have to know who to ask and how to ask it ;)

...trust your luthier

DAve p.
  18. That must be what the guy at Bass Northwest was referring to, thanks Dave.