Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would a 700watt head destroy a 200watt cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Oct 28, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i keep looking for cabs to go with the 1001rb-II i'm getting in a couple of weeks. i can't seem to find anything with a power rating high enough to make me feel comfortable.

does a 700watt head only supply 700watts with the volume to the max?
    would i need 2x350watt cabs to keep from blowing stuff up?

i'm looking at a 210 for now, and then a 115 in a few months (when i can afford it). what 210 cab could handle this?

2. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    first of all, the 1001rb-II is only 700 watts at 4 ohms. I'm assuming that if the cab you're looking at is 200 watts, it's probably 8 ohms. That means your amp will put out a good bit less than 700 watts. 540, if I'm remembering correctly.

Secondly, under normal circumstances, reasonable volumes, your amp should not be putting out its full rating. It should be a fraction of it, I dont know, half maybe. However, the problem is, if you were to push the amp just a little bit harder than you intended to and drive it into clipping, it could put out quite a bit more than that. Maybe even more than 700, I think.

A 700 watt amp into a 200 watt cab isn't going to blow anything up necessarily, but it's pushing it. It wouldn't be hard at all to start breaking things in that situation. What 210 are you looking at? If you want to find 210s with higher power ratings, plenty of people would give suggestions, I'm sure.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    thanks for the tips guys.
    now i just have to find some cabs i can afford.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    FTR, the GK 1001RB-II puts out 460 at 8 ohms.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    If that's the case loud speakers want 1.75-2.25 x the RMS to power them correctly. So if the speakers are 200 rms that would be perfect at 460 at 8ohms. Just don't max it out, but you will have good clairity and head room with that set up.