1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would a Bass/Drums/Sax trio work well?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Dec 9, 2006.

1. I know it depends on the players but in general would this work? or is there a piano usually required for the right combination

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Morphine did okay. ;)

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Sounds cool to me.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Do it.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I think that in order to pull it off you'd need a doubleneck seven string like Turner has, except that I'd make the fretted a 21 string (with octave strings).

Also consider some Rush-style keyboard pedals for you and the sax player.

6. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Make it work for you... I'm always up for ditching the guitars and pianos of the world for more interesting combonations... would this be a jazz thing? Or a rock thing? Or experimental?

7. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Hah. I have a trio like this and it's awesome. Some tunes we just don't do until there's a piano player around because otherwise they are kind of empty. But generally it's great fun and I hope yours turns out fun too...

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The bassist has the most difficult job in a trio like that. Make sure you can handle it.

9. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I've done it, an experemental jazz trio. it leaves you lots of space and no real chance of overplaying!!!

10. As you said, "with the right players," I think it could be a great combo. Last weekend I went to a gig with a new band that some friends are putting together. The only problems were the guitarist and keys getting in the way of the sax, the drummer and bass player were outstanding. One of the guys with me is Spanish and has a guitar degree from the Royal Conservatory in Madrid. He was really impressed with the rhythm section. I might add a flute, maybe a tenor and alto sax both, trumpet, female vocalist who can sing ballads but also really belt, but now I'm talking about my ideal band, not yours.

11. While that could work, it is hardly neccesary. Morphine rocked it well with excellent basslines playing a four string bass with only two strings wound on the bass.

12. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    See the band Back Door with Colin Hodgkinson. No ERB's. just talent.

13. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Didn't Sonny Rollins do trio work like this?

That way the piano didn't get in the way of his solo ideas.

Joe

14. If it's black metal: no. If it's jazz: yes.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

These guys sound pretty tight!!

16. tonequixote

tonequixote Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    Bass, Drum and Sax works.

Give "FLY" (Mark Turner, Jeff Ballard and Larry Grenadier) a listen for ample proof. :hyper:

17. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    Isn't there a member here at TB who has a trio which consist on drums, sax and 6-string bass?

18. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Todd Johnson makes his trio work with URB/vocals, 6-string bass, and drums.

Joe

19. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY