1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

would a bridge ashtray fit on my fender jazz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hordehunterx, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    i have a 2011 MIA standard jazz, i want to install one of those "F" bridge covers, i think it would look great with the blizzard pearl... would the ashtray fit? is there any specific measurements on where i should drill the holes?

2. It should fit just fine. I don't have any exact measurements, you could do it by trial and error, but there are two things I would do first regardless. Lay down some masking tape to protect your finish, and so you can make guide marks, and take an emery board to the underside of the plate where the screwholes are, the holes usually have burrs, and you need to remove those first so as to not scratch up your finish.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Measure your pups center to center. If it's 4" spacing, the pup should be totally hidden by the ashtray. I assume the Am Std has the 4" spacing.

If it is 3.6" as was the Jazz spacing up until the "CBS repositioning" took place, the front edge of the ashtray will line up with the neck side edge of the bridge pup.

Other than that, it's just a matter of doing like Cliff said, square it up carefully so it looks good and prep the cover so it has no rough edges.

4. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    You can go on the fender support website, find a jazz with the covers on it stock, like a reissue or something, save the picture, resize to actual size and print. Voila instant template.

5. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    There's a template for this sort of thing.

BridgeCoverMountJazz.

6. Sparker

Sparker

Jan 13, 2010
    I just attached the "ashtray" on a refiinshed Epi Accubass. The bridge was a tad bit larger. I just used a bit of 1/16" insulation with the adhesive and trimmed flush. Worked like a charm.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    american standard jazz basses will have '60s spacing, so the edge of the pickup will just be visible.

the real question is whether the current high-mass bridge will fit under there. i think it will.

8. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I think the intention of the "modified" location is to completely cover the pickup like a '70s bass.

I'd put a small wager that the high-mass bridge would fit under there. Any takers at $50?

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I'm with you , the tail block doesn't look higher than a standard bridge and the ends angle in and have nice radiused corners.

10. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    They do look wicked cool. But once you drill it, you can't undrill it. And those covers do keep you from palm muting and plucking in that sweet spot over the bridge pickup.

11. If I'm not mistaken, the two screw holes on the ashtray are co-linear with the screw at the tip of the control plate. You just have to make sure that that imaginary line on which the 3 screw holes are on is perpendicular to the center line of the bass. Of course, it goes without saying that the two holes on the ashtray are equidistant to the bass center line.

Here's a trick you could use. If you want to give the ashtray (and neck pup cover for that matter) a spin to see if you like it, try mounting it first with double sided tape. If after giving it a try and you don't like it, you could always take it off without leaving holes in the bass. Heck, I tried this and even when I was sold on the ashtrays and neck covers I just left the tape as it is.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1, this is a "one way" mod with real performance and maintenance compromises, so a sticky-tape trial run is a good idea.

13. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    i think the hole adds
    character ( bullpoopieting myself ). and im not planning to sell the bass ( bullpoopietin myself ). ill go with the tape first. see how it goes! thx. anyone want to guess how much one of those will cost to ship to asia? ( malaysia ) any sites that sell those in my area?

14. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    It wont fit over a Badass like a Highway 1 for example . BluTak is a great tool for temporaraly putting it in place for a alignment visual before the dreaded drilling . Good Luck !

15. I recently bought a BEAUTIFUL Masada Jazz copy for $150. The seller had installed real Fender pickups back during the Carter administration. It has a real Fender "F" ashtray which is something I always wanted. Now that I've played the bass I realize that cover has got to go. I can't access the bridge pickup at all. As a result I'm not getting the full tonal range of the instrument.

16. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    i know but imagine a bridge cover on my baby ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364986934.110729.

17. Some can deal with the covers changing their play style, some can't. It's a matter of personal preference.

18. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    nah but i do play a lot of jaco for practice... i guess it would kind of **** me over... i still might get it for fun

19. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    A Badass is not the bridge in question.