1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would A CS-3 And LMB-3 Be Pointless Together

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stampy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I am newer to this. I know the CS-3 is mainly for guitar and evens the volume across the entire spectrum and the LMB-3 just limits certain points but can be also used as a compressor. I also have a GEB-7 too. So would the two pedals cancel each other out and be a waste to have together?

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IMO, it'd be a waste to have both if your goal is basic clean compression, but they don't cancel each other out. They're considerably different, although they could be both used for limiting.

Out of curiosity... ever used a CS-3 on bass before? It significantly colors your signal and is really meant for "squishy" tones, not workhorse duty. It's not transparent at all. Honestly, I don't really like it for bass (I had one a long time ago), although I've heard really good things about how transparent it can be and well it works on bass after some major mods like the Humphrey mod (see Bongomania's review for more on that).

3. Humphrey mod is the way to go. But be careful - I accidentally got the "atom smasher" instead of the "bass smasher". I don't think the bass smasher colors your tone much if at all.

4. I recently got the bass smasher.
    I have to say - It does what i got it for - but it's not perfect.
    It does suck a bit of low end, but not a great amount.

When I go down tuned with ported 15's only = Loses some low.
    And I have used it with only sealed cabs also - and it seems to be less noticeable there.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    While there might be some circumstances where the two pedals could be used together effectively, I would say most people and most circumstances would get ugly results.

6. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    I use the CS-3 thats why I was wondering. I like the tone I get from it when I play some Tom Petty but it does suck some major low end.

7. bassman251

bassman251

Jan 30, 2007
    The cs-3 can be used as a limiter, so could be a bit redundant.

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I agree with Bongo that in most cases, you have plenty to lose and nothing to gain from the LMB-3 / CS-3 combo.

Stampy, are you looking for just some basic, clean compression? Dynamics management, and not much else? Just curious what your goal is.

9. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yes exactly. I am looking for a clean dynamic sound. Also kinda like that fat analog sound from Rushs Moving Pictures Album if that helps?