1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would a Fender P-Bass neck fit on a Hondo P-Bass copy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gotee78, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Gotee78

Gotee78

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi! I have been given a Hondo P-Bass copy. The neck is pretty much shot and I'm wondering if a standard P-Bass replacement neck would fit it. I know it's a beginner instrument but I thought it might be kind of cool to upgrade it and use it as a gig instrument. Any advise on possible necks and pickups would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    You would have to measure the neck to see if it's the same length and width as a P. Make sure that the neck pocket on the Hondo is wide and deep enough for a P neck.

3. Gotee78

Gotee78

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks for that! By chance do you know the measurements for a P neck?

4. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    2 1/2" heel on a P neck. 34" scale.

5. Gotee78

Gotee78

Mar 9, 2013
    Cool! Forgive me for asking but 2 1/2" wide or deep for the heel? Or is it 2 1/2" wide AND deep at the heel? I'm new to this and I want to make sure I'm buying the right parts. Thanks for all the help!

6. Gotee78

Gotee78

Mar 9, 2013
    Ok...so the heel of the original Hondo neck measures 2" deep x 2 1/2" wide & 24" long from heel to nut. The space in the body that receives that heel of the neck measures 5/8" deep x 2 1/2" wide. Could I get P-Bass replacement neck to fit this thing?

7. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
  8. Gotee78

Gotee78

Mar 9, 2013
    Roaddog77, THANKS! I appreciate the link and the advice! I'm a guitar player by trade but I'm going to start playing bass with an acoustic group. I was given this bass so the only investment that I have is what I put into it. Plus I thought it would be kind of cool to use an instrument that I saved from the garbage pile. I'll post a pic of it when it's done. I'm going to end up putting pots and pickups in it as well...any recommendations? Also, what gauge of strings would you recommend...I've played guitar for 24 years and I NEVER realized how ignorant of all things bass that I really am! LOL!

9. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    I have to admit I don't know much about guitar. I started on guitar but never could progress far. I'd eventually put it down and forget about it for a while. When I really put some time into bass I found I just loved it and couldn't put it down. It is a cool project to save it from the garbage bin. It feels good to play an instrument you've improved and worked on. Definitely post some pics. I just rewired my P bass with the premium wiring kit listed on this page:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/Wiring_Kit_for_P-Bass.html

IMG_0659.

It started life as a Squire. I've upgraded the neck with a Warmoth bubinga neck with ebony fretboard and put a Fender Vintage Reissue split pickup before upgrading the J pickup and electronics recently. I had to buy new knobs for the wiring kit. I didn't think the pots would affect the tone and clarity as much as they did. I had to do a bunch of hacking under the pick guard to get the pots to fit because of the style of my P which you probably won't have to deal with and it was a pain but was totally worth it.

As for strings I run Chromes, which are flatwound, on my P and D'addario EXL160 Medium Gauge nickel round wounds on my Schecter. The flats give a nice, deep, mellow tone which works really well with the vintage pickup to give some old school tone. The Schecter has active pickups and with those strings I can make amps growl and bark. I think it's a bass that a lot of metal guys would love. I'd stick to medium or light gauge strings. The heavier ones can take their toll on a neck.

As for the pickups you might dig the Fender Vintage reissue if you like a more classic tone. Fender has some hotter pickups or you might like the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound or their hot pickup if you like a more aggressive or modern sound. They're decent sounding but aren't insanely overpriced which I find some pickups to be.

I'd go to a store with a bunch of basses and fiddle with some and see if you can find one you like before plunking down money on a pickup. They cost so much. I knew what I wanted and bought the Fender vintage without hearing it and it's everything I hoped it would be.

I look forward to seeing some pics of your progress!

10. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    If you're feeling really crafty you could try to fix your neck. The original neck from my Squire wasn't very playable. Action was a mile high and there was some twist.

This guy has a bunch of really great videos on how to perform a fretless conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/user/smbstressfest/videos

I figured it couldn't hurt since the neck was worthless anyway. I had to buy a few things and sand the neck for a looooong time but it appears to have turned out pretty good.

280911_3409457649105_1146166577_o.

I haven't put it on a bass yet. Fretless wouldn't be a bad way to go. If you mess it up or don't like it you're not out much and you can always buy a neck. :bassist:

11. Gotee78

Gotee78

Mar 9, 2013
    Roaddog77, thanks so much for the input! I've actually looked into the DiMarzio '62 P-Bass Reissue pickups. I think that might be the way I go. Just because the kind of stuff that I'll be playing with this group is going to be a little more like an Edwin McCain type sound. I think a nice, warm bottom end would round out the acoustic guitar and vocals nicely. To the string advice I really can't thank you enough. It never occurred to me that I am clueless when it comes to bass strings! LOL! I think the flatwounds might be the way I go. Again, nice and warm. I'll do a before and after pic for the bass. There is no pick guard on it so it's just a matter of pulling the pickups and pots and having them replaced. The finish is pretty dinged up but it's starting to grow on me...I'm starting to daydream about the way it will play and sound... :)

12. Gotee78

Gotee78

Mar 9, 2013
    For the fretless neck...I might give it a shot. Like you said, what have I got to loose? :)