Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

would a Gallien-Krueger 700RB be enough to power an 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UtBDan, Mar 16, 2006.

1. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Sure. People power 8x10s all the time with 800RBs, which are 300 watts, I think.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Of course it is. It's not as if the cab will go on strike and refuse to work properly unless you give it more juice.

But that's the wrong question, anyway. The question is, would that amp through that cab be loud enough to do the job you're trying to do? And the only way way to determine that is to examine your playing situation. What kind of music do you play, what kind of gear do your bandmates use, what kind of venues do you play (big or small, outdoor or indoor), do you have PA support, all that kinda stuff.

4. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I dont use PA support (we only use PA for vocals), the guitarist has a 100 watt tubed Vox, the drummer is acoustic/not mic'd up but plays hard, we've done small outdoor gigs before.

I wouldn't be doing this for very very big gigs, as my band doesn't get very very big gigs. But it would be for bigger-than-coffee-house, school-audience & small-stage situations.

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
  6. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Yes the 700rb would power a 810 more then enough i have used a800rb to power a 610 cab and even though it was only 300 watt's it was then enough power.look at 1001rb II it has 700 watt's at 4 ohms which would give you more then enough head room and power to be to be heard for anything you would probley ever need for any gig.best of luck.Cheer's Mate!