1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would a Jazz bass be redundant?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steamthief, Jul 28, 2007.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I love the Jazz bass sound and feel. I want to get one, but my main bass is a P/J with a Jazz neck. Although I mainly play it with just the P pup, I've been using the bridge pup more.

This being the case, would getting a Jazz bass be redundant, or would the tones differ enough to be worth my while?

P.S. - Please, no suggestions for other basses. I have a SR4 that I just haven't felt the conection with, and I feel the classic passive basses are what I like best.

2. i can tell you that from owning a aerodyne jazz bass which is a p/j, compared to any other jazz's ive had, the tone is different from night and day.

i don't need to explain a p/j since you already have one. but the neck pickup of a jazz bass doesn't have the same low mid thump sound that everyone knows. the neck jazz is more cleaner to my ears, more middy i guess you can say. and if you solo the neck jazz, you do get some buzz typical from single coil pickups. think reggae like bob marley, thats a typical neck pickup jazz bass with tone rolled off.

alot of people here agree that by own a p bass and a jazz bass you can pretty much cover 99.99% of all recorded music but hey thats only my opinion

3. Try a STU hamm Fender, it covers P and J sound, with its 3 pickups

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Quite honestly, I see it as redundant. While a PJ doesn't sound EXACTLY like a J, it sounds close enough to my ears. Nobody would ever kick you out of a band over it. Having said that, there's nothing at all wrong with one!

5. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    The answer to any question like "Should I get (bass x)?" is always YES ;)

6. Rather have a J with S1 switching to mimic a P. The new Jazz basses MIA are amazing for the money.