Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Would a Nemesis 112 combo be adequate for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    My current amp is a crate bfx-100. i absolutely abhor it. it's too large and heavy for practical use.

I am seriously considering the nemesis 112 combo. it is half the size and over twice the power. it is also lighter (under 60 pounds?).

I am finally starting to play with other people: I have my first rock gig on March 1st; the next day, i will play with a jazz quartet!

Will this amp provide all that I want and need at the moment? sorry, i don't know the size venues, which is quite important. I may also be able to mike it, right? (speaking of which, does it have a DI?)

thanks in advance

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I believe that the Nemesis is 225W... if it has a speaker out, you may wanna take advantage of that as 1X12 may not be adequate for a rock gig, though it should do nicely for the jazz deal... I have tried a Nemesis 2X10 and that was a LOUD sucker...

-robert

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    In the July '99 issue of Bass Player, they state that it does in fact have both an external speaker output as well as an XLR DI out, rated at 225W into 8 Ohms, has an internal speaker off switch, and took 'Best Buy', 'Best Built', and 'Top Tone' awards for 1X12 combos...

-robert

4. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    thanks

here are some more facts to take into consideration:

rock band: two guitar players, at least one is distorted nearly all of the time (drummer+singer, of course)

jazz band: don't know much. alto sax player. drummer. possibly keyboards or vibraphones.

in the latest bassplayer (yeah, yeah, i know), the nemesis 112 cab got this response: biting mids and treble but "the nemesis loses some definition as you descend into a 5-string's lowest register..."

this sucks because: i use a czech spector...FIVE STRING!!

I'm not sure if the definition that the mag was craving would be affordable at my budget. I am also pretty sure that it must have better lower register definition than my crate, which doesn't muddy it up to the point of being unlistenable

If i had the money, i would buy the eden metro...but i just can't afford it. not at the moment anyway. (fwiw, i am really pushing it with this combo right now b/c i am yet to find a job- a major GAS faux pass)

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Brad...where's the rock Gig? Maybe I'll catch you guys, (heck, if you're in the same ballpark as far as styles, maybe a gig w/ you guys)?

The price of the Nemisis 112 I think you could squeeze into a these are just cursory prices, you can do better on all but the Carvin
    Hartke 410 (400+shipping)
    Carvin 4x10 (450)
    SWR 2x10 (370+shipping)
    Fender Bass 410 (419+shipping)
    Nemesis 2x10 (380 +)
    (any of these)
    http://www.music123.com/category/category.asp?d=2&c=54&cn=Bass Cabinets

and
    Hartke 2000- 369+shipping
    Hartke 1400: 140 watts, $210+ shipping.
    GK Backline: 125 @8ohms- $299+shipping.
    sorry, heads are spendy!
    Harkte -

Or:
    Any Carvin Combo
    Ampeg BA112 (350 + shipping)
    Ampeg BA115 (430 + shipping)
    Any SWR LA series
    Ashdown Electric Blue (400 + shipping) or for a 15", 450 +
    Any Genz Benz Combo (2x10, 1x15, 1x12)
    Whole lotta Hartke Combos

So, for marginally more or in some cases less, you could get much louder.Sorry about the abundance of Hartke gear on the list, but it's stuff in the price range. You might make a sacrifice in tone and sound, but in a Rock situation, some adjustments must be made, y'know? Also, those are just cursory prices, you can do better on all but the Carvin. That's just me though. So, there you go. Hope this helps

-Results culled from www.musiciansfriend.com marsmusic.com Music123.com and Carvin.com

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, yeah, and used! :D

(The above post was primarily guilt, due to my Eden+MTD rig so early in my Basshood ;):D:p. But, hey, they were both steals, and I had the dough from working...)

Oh, and Peavey apparently doesn't let it's stuff be sold online, so I can't give you retails on that right off the bat, but it's competitive, and it's decent gear. Something to think about. (You can haggle Shumacher, believe me.)

7. I have a Nemesis 410 and it's 5db louder at one watt than the 112 (103db vs. 98db) is - but it's also a bit heavier. Might be worth a look.

allan

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And a bit more $$$ than I think Brad has. The cab (w/ no head) is 550. That puts it, along w/ a head outta his price range (if 630 for the 112 is stretching it)

9. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Did you look at the poll 'best powerfull light weight combos' : the best seems to be the nemesis nc210p (12 votes), the nc112 (4votes). They have quite the same weight, the 210 have more volume (100db/SPL against 98db/SPL). The price is quite the same and i think for a 5strings, the nc210p is better. Personally, i've tried a nc115 in a store, it's very good for slap. The only problem but peraphs it was a problem of the one i tried is that the compression knob seems to make no difference. I've heard that some bassists say that the nemesis combos are a little fragile. The reason i won't buy the nc210p is that the power with the internal speaker(s) is only 140w rms and if you had an extension cab then you can have 200w. I think i'll buy the roland db500 160w. If you can, try one. If you like rock'n roll you may like its sounds (tube amp simulation and good compression, distortion and chorus). it weights 53lbs not far from the nemesis models but for medium size gigs you don't need to plug it into the pa.

10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    too...many...options.

head...exploding...ARGHHHH!!!!

nothing is set in stone. i may actually get a job soon, so that may free up some options.

i personally would prefer to have a high quality cab (who wouldn't?) and decent head than a combo.
    i am smitten by the idea that i may be able to afford an aguilar 112, but i really know little about decent heads...plus, this may be quite expensive.

I really got everything backwards by getting that czech spector...I got the crate months before it to justify a new bass...now i realize the folly in my ways.

back to nemesis stuff: I really don't want to lug around a 4x10. If i got that, I would have to a) always bring a hand dolly everywhere i play at or b) keep my crate as my own personal amp and just leave the behemoth at the practice garage.

nemesis 112 and 210 seem to be pretty interchangable. from what i've heard, one 12" cab is a bit more versatile. but if the 210 can handle the low B (and possibly lower) better, than that will decide it out of those two.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, that's the curse of money.

And, That's what I do. I have B80XL (old Crate 15") that I have for practice, and my Eden Rig at my practice pad. Works out remarkably well!

(Eeeeedeeeeen! Eeeeeedeeeeen!)

12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    where do you think i got the idea?

don't try that "subliminal" stuff on me, bud. it won't eden on me, eden.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, in all seriousness for a decent rig for rock apps, I'd throw down for for that Hartke 1400 head, and the Hartke VX 410

Should run you about 600 even. 4x10, 140 head, heck it'd be good to go for a while. Not the best stuff, but I'd imagine it'd be better than the Crate POS.

If you get a job, and can wing more, I'd hold out for a Carvin 4x10, and the SWR WT 2004 for a solid rig, for not much dough. That'd run you about 1000 or so, but w/ 600, you could make due for a while, and maybe a gig or two untill you got the extra 400. That's what I would do.

14. i use the nemisis 2 x10 it is light and definatelly loud enough for any stage this little amp really kicks well worth the money i never heard the 1x12

15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    would the hartke amp be powerful enough?

i just visited the site, and it said 80 watts at 8 ohms, the impedance of the cab. that doesn't quite seem...satisfying. of course, i would need to hear it, especially in conjunction with that cab, which can handle 400 watts at 8 ohms.

it's also cool that the cab doesn't have those aluminum cones: a bit more "traditional" sounding, probably.

if i did, indeed, follow that "path" you have set...i just don't know. i'd drop a little over $600 at first, then sell that stuff (most likely for less than i paid, naturally), then drop another $400 to $500 on the next set.

it may be difficult to sell the crate and the hartke stuff...especially the crate.

i guess i should put all of this on hold until i've got my job situation (or lack thereof) sorted out.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a good thing to know your limitations, monetarily. Get a job, you damned hippy! :D