Would a new preamp help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cecile, Jun 1, 2004.

1. I'm trying to find a way to change the sound of my SWR sm900, and I was woundering if buying a new preamp would work. Say I hooked up an Ampeg SVPCL Classic Bass Preamp to my 900, would it make my 900 sound more like an Ampeg? If not, what would it do?
  2. Hi.

I've added a Demeter pre to an existing Hughes&Kettner head. Yes, it makes a vast difference, but it also depends on connection. Series - first into demeter, then into kettner, made it very tubey, but I had some difficulties with the signals (too weak or too strong). Parallel - better, ketter has a rotating knob for the ratio (wet/dry) and I have absolute control on how much pre I want.

Adding a preamp to such a nice gadget (swr) is effective in studio, but on gigs, there isn't so much difference and I'm thinking of getting it out from the rack and have it for studio purpose only.

So, it adds a new dimension to the sound, but as said, it probably would be subtle. Borrow some preamp for a start and see what happens with your bass.

Keep groovin'