Would a noise gate work on "hot" pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Dec 15, 2005.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    I have been playing bass for a couple of years and I have heard of noise gates but not really sure about what they do specifically.

Could anybody explain are they mostly for guitars? do they help with hot pickups?
  2. a noise gate is a circuit that opens a "gate" (or switches ON) when your sound level exceeds a threshold and then switches OFF (closes the "gate") when the sound level drops below a threshold.

noise gate devices generally have parameters to set on them like threshold level, decay and attack time.

I find that these are more useful on percussive things like drums, but can definitely be used on bass.

One good application of noise gates is using an external trigger (to turn the gate on and off) from a kick drum and then feeding some of the bass signal through the gate. This gives the bass a sort of kickdrum dynamic that is totally locked in with the drummer.. Works great for playing things like dance music.

As far as what helps with hot pickups...a compressor is probably a better solution to even out the response of your pickups when playing...also, lets not forget technique.