Would a Sadowsky work for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickr, Mar 8, 2005.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Hello all,
    I have been reading Sadowsky threads for the past couple of months and the players seem to be the most loyal of any manufacturers out there. If you read my profile you will see that I have had many brands of basses. I play in a 3 piece funk/jazz/rock fusion band and I have to ask quite a bit from my bass. I need a bass that will Tap/slap/fingerstyle and perform harmonics all equally well. I am currently playing a Zon 519 that I bought from Adrian at access. This bass is amazing and really does it all. I really want to add a 4 string and I have been looking hard at Sadowskys. Do you Sadowsky owners think it would work for this style of music?
    Thanks much

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would think the Quality and Diversity in tones from one Bass would meet your expectations.I personaly think their one of the best basses you can get out. :bassist:
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    They are extreemly versitile, and I would not hesitate to take my Metro to any gig in town. However, I am not a flash bass player, rarely tap, do slap but I'm really about the pocket, and thats where Sadowskys thrive , they just sit in the mix with a band something special. Hard to explain really, must be the angel dust Roger sprinkles on them. Mike Fredrickson (Mikebass) who is a very good player does the two hand thing with his and sounds great. You will not have the bottom go out when you start tapping, like many basses. If I did a lot of two hand though, I'd deffinently check out some Modulus, Zon, MTD and of course Fodera, they do cut some of there necks a little wider for a guy who does that stuff alot. Also the graphite necks seem to really cut for that kind off playing.
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've only played two Sadowskys and If I was looking to buy one I would not hesitate to buy one "sight unseen" provided it wasn't used. The quality and consistancy is just that good. As far the bass working well for you, try to put your hands on one, but I can't see how it wouldn't. You may lose a little in the "tapping" dept compared to the Zon but IMO, you'll gain big everywere else!
  5. I've played Sadowsky and also Mike Lull. I like my Mike Lull and it was $1,000 less than a Sadowsky.
  6. I think a Sadowsky would work very well for all those styles. I guess you would be best off with a Sadowsky Metro MV4 (it has a pickguard, more comfortable for slapping) or (if you don't need a pickguard) an MS4. They both have a maple fingerboard, and thus sound brighter than the ones with rosewood boards, and will be more suitable for slapping and tapping. And if you want a body with a figured wood top and you have the cash, you could go for a N.Y. Sadowsky.
    And ofcourse, Sadowsky has a 7 day trial period (if you order yours directly from Sadowsky), so you could try one and if it's not what you expected, you could send it back.
    Starting to sound like a Sadowsky nut here..well I guess I am :hyper:
  7. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Thanks much for the input folks. I am in desperate search for a used one. I have seen a few out the prices are only about $200 less than a new one.
  8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    That it a sign of a good bass! it generally means it's a good value, demand is very high, customer satisfaction is through the roof, or in this case, probably all three!
  9. As far as I've heard and read, Sadowskys are a super Jazz bass. And a jazz bass seems to fit your bill perfectly. So I guess you can put 2 and 2 together! Seriously, I've heard tons of great things about Sadowskys. Definitely a great, versatile bass that's a lot like a Fender and yet wa lot like a boutique bass. Great combination!
  10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've noticed this as well and decided to buy a brand new Metro. In fact, it should arrive tomorrow :bassist: Considering how much just the parts would cost on that bass, I think it is a very reasonable price!
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My .02 on this topic is that if you're going to go the Sadowsky route, for the type of stuff you do, I would recommend a Modern. I do a lot with tapping as well, and I just can't get comfortable doing it on a 21 fret bass, plus, having the three extra frets allows for more tapping arpegios. I also like how the Modern has a well balanced tone for all types of play whether slap,tap, or fingerstyle. It does them all very good.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sadowsky quality and customer service are well known, but that doesn't mean a Sadowsky will be the right bass for you. I believe playability is very similar on all Sadowskys. So, if you happen to like the Sadowsky playability, fine... but you won't know until you try one!
  13. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    I apologize in advance if this is incomprehensible, but it's late and I'm tired. I've owned a lot of basses: Elrick, Warwick, Lakland, F Bass, Modulus, Smith, among others... I wrote this the other day in another Sadowsky thread, wrote it to Roger via e-mail and I'll say it again here -- I was skeptical of Sadowsky basses and generally could've been lumped in with the "it's a $2500+ Fender" crowd. That is, before I actually played, and more importantly, gigged with one. I am a huge fan of Fodera's and FOR ME I think they're the greatest basses out there. Second choice? A Sadowsky hands down.

I now own an NYC Standard 5 (#4094) that I got from a good friend. It's nothing fancy, classy looks, clean and simple, but man, the tone and playability of this bass is wonderful. I play at church and use it for everything from straight rock & roll to jazzy/R&B gospel and it never misses a beat; it cuts like a knife but is never over-powering. I also use it in a straight-ahead jazz quintet (Take the A Train, All the Things You Are, etc...) and we'll throw in a little Herbie and the Headhunters, and classic Motown/R&B for the wedding gigs. It covers it all beautifully. I'll slap, fingerstyle, palm-mute, flamenco strum, double stop, sometimes throw in 3 or 4 note chords, harmonics (which ring brilliantly on mine), and very occasionally tap if the mood strikes me. Whether I do all that well is another matter, but that is another topic entirely.

This is easily one of the most versatile basses I've owned (along with Fodera). A great testimony of their versatility is that Jason Newsted plays them with Metallica, and just about any other style is covered by Will Lee and his Sadowsky(s) on Letterman. I really don't think versatility will be as much the issue; as another poster said, it will be a matter of whether or not the playability, neck feel, tone, etc... is to your liking. I'd add that if you don't get to try one first but buy used, you probably won't lose any money on a re-sale or have much trouble moving it.

Off topic, what group do you play in? I lived in Charlottesville for a while around '99-'00. Were you guys gigging then? I remember a group called Busby(sp?) that had a talented bassist. Don't know if they're still around or not. . .

Take care and good luck with your quest.............
  14. I think a great example of the versatility of Sadowskys can be heard on America Idol. Ricky is playing all sorts of music on that show (with some very tasty licks, I might add...) and his Sad sounds great on everything.
  15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Yeah, what they said (the good stuff about the Sads that is).
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Dont hesitate. I play 160 shows per year and rotate 3 different Sadowsky's to do them all. 2 NYC's and a metro

17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

what this " incomprehensible" guy said... ;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You cant go wrong with a Sadowsky. Go For It. :) :bassist:
  19. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Word. . . your Imperial fretless makes me cry -- and not :crying:. . . I said :bawl:
  20. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004