Would adding a string tree to a collectible bass alter its value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IamJohn, Oct 17, 2019.

1. IamJohn

IamJohn Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    I recently picked up a fender p midnight special. Beautiful bass, and probably the rarest thing I own.

One thing I notice, however, is that the A string sits very high coming off the nut, which Im worried may effect sustain, and also, just doesn't look good imo.

Would adding a string tree negatively effect the value of a somewhat collectible bass?

I certainly wouldn't want to molest the thing if it did. I'd rather be able to send it to a future owner with all the relevant pieces in tact.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Can't you simply restring the bass and this time leave more length so the winding around the A tuner post go all the way down?

3. IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Possibly, but I'm not sure. There are three winds around it right now. I might be able to get them a bit lower on the post, but I'm not sure it'd be enough.

mcnach and Ghastly like this.
  4. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    I didn't vote because I am all for making minor changes if it will improve the playability of your bass, but in this case I think mikeswals has a valid point about stringing the A string up differently so you do not have to.

Is the string actually rattling?

5. Is the nut not cut deep enough? What about attaching a solid capo behind the nut. Should solve the problem - but won't be pretty.

6. What kind of tuners does it have? If they're similar to the American series models, you could fit an A string stealth retainer. Wouldn't work on Mexican-style tuners though, unfortunately.

shopping.jpeg.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  7. If it's not Pre-CBS or something else very rare, I would do whatever I wanted to/needed to to make my instrument more playable.

First, find out how much the bass is actually worth, then, find out how much, if at all your modification might reduce its value.

I have a 40 year old Ibanez Musician.

I don't use the stock preamp anymore, and I might change the pickups if I think it will make the bass sound better to me.

I, personally don't care about resale value, as I am keeping this bass.

Mike

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    This is the best answer. Fender provided and completely reversible. The other best answer is regarding how the strings are wound on the post.

9. IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for the replies all. Truth be told I just got this yesterday and have only had about a half hour of playing time on it. In that time I didn't hear any rattling. It just happened to be fairly noticeable visually and I was looking at my options.

I'll have to try rewinding it tonight to see if that makes a difference as well as check the nut slot.

It's the bass from this thread if that helps.
    SOLD - Fender precision midnight 60's RARE

10. IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just stopped by my local shop to get their opinion. They said the angle is probably fine as is if I've heard no string rattle, but mirrored the sentiment that I reseat the string lower on the tuning post.

I'm going to give that a shot before anything else. Thanks for the help guys.

mcnach and DrewinHouston like this.
  11. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about that bass being collectible.

12. JTE

JTE Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I don't see how this is collectible. Limited production and rarity only translates to collectibility if the market wants them more than they're available.

This is a limited run they made last year, right? Do it's too recent to have acquired any collector value.

jd56hawk likes this.
  13. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Never heard of these. Where might one buy these?

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Fender uses them on 5 string basses now. You'll probably find them at every Fender seller on ebay

B-Mac likes this.
  15. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a warm puppy and a great bass Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks.

16. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    yes it would degrade the value of the bass, it will not longer be all original

17. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Is it a issue with the nut? Contrary to some, they do get replaced. Could have been made wrong.

18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Without arguing whether or not this specific bass is collectible, the answer to your question is yes, making changes to a collectible bass would LOWER the value of the bass.

TrustRod, Wisebass, Wasnex and 2 others like this.
  19. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Cheapest and best tact ; do not look at it - play it.

DavC, John Cribbin, mcnach and 6 others like this.
  20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You said you are worried about sustain, but if you're not actually hearing a problem, there is none.