Would all Arachnaphobes please swear in?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Sep 2, 2005.

1. I did the dishes last night, and an hour later I went back into my pantry and turned the light on. I felt something fibrous and sticky...I knew it had to be a spider web, but when the light came on, I saw this 3" from the end of my finger:

So of course I scremed like a little girl and shook my finger violently to free it...it fell to the floor, and I pinned it with a broom, and swept it into a baggie. I had killed a couple of these in my basement, and that freaked me out enough, but now they were in my kitchen. This sucker was plenty big.

Turns out it's a garden spider...but my gut reaction was it was a killer. :D So I brought it to work and classified it as such online, and I feel better, but where there's one, there's 1000 more you aren't seeing. Looks like it's time for a call to the Orkin man.

Anyone else hate them spider thangs?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not fond of arthropods as a phylum. I merely distain smaller ones, loath the middling ones, and bust out whompin' stick for the bigger ones. It's a few steps removed from a phobia, but they're small steps.
  3. Ditto. Silverfish gimmie the heebie jeebies too. WHY is it I only see them in my peripheral vision, in the light cascaded from a television in an otherwise dark room? WHY?
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know, because you're a freak?
  5. Could be, but they all hang out under my couch. Never in time with that flip-flop.

good times.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Me, I just came to an understand with the arthropod word: you stay out of my home, or at least my sight, and I don't obliterate the lot of you on principle.

Surprisingly, they've held up their end of the bargain pretty well.
  7. I used to avoid any interaction with them - to the point of not killing them. This was when I was living with my parents and in school. They go crunch and pop when you kill them, EEEWWW!

Now, it's MY house they're trespassing in, and it's MY 3-month-old daughter in the other room! I destroy them with a vengeance. I still pick the dead thing up with a paper towel or something and flush it down the toilet, though. They still creep me out.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    In Florida, as Brendan probably knows, there is a giant spider called a banana spider. For a field trip one year, my whole class was taken to an island with a indian burial mound on it. Said island was crawling with banana spiders. Haunts me to this day. They hang out in trees and make massive webs from tree to tree. The spiders themselves (counting leg span) are usually bigger than the size of a man's hand. Now this was 7-8 years ago, but I think I counted just shy of a few thousand of those things.

I can't remember, but that spider is either very venomous or very mildly venomous FL TBer's help me on that one.
  9. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I can't stand them at all, the picture you posted made me a little uneasy.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Same here. What's the ratio of that pic to the real thing? Don't tell me it's 1:1. :eek:

I generally don't mind spiders, but I'm happier when we stay out of each other's way.
  11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Small little things like spiders, wasps, bees, ect. scare the crap out of me. If they are too small to shoot, I'm scared. :D :D :D
  12. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    There's a kinda orange-colored version of that type spider in the pic (orb weaver) and when I was about 4 years old I was running home and passed between two bushes with one of them. I saw the thing about 3 inches from my nose and couldn't stop. Man, I put on a show after that, frantically brushing off my head and upper body and screaming for about the next 5 minutes.

Never have likes spiders, and it definitely used to be in the phobia category. I've settled down some since then, but not a whole lot.
  13. I definitely belong in this thread. Gosh, I hate those things.
  14. This sums up my feeling about snakes. Whenever I see one in my yard it's ALWAYS out of the corner of my eye and I find that to be startling. Don't mind the spiders so much since I have so many around the outside of my house. Wolf spiders mostly......

15. well that would depend on how big your monitor is.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, it's the other way around for me. If it's small, whatever. If it's so big I have to ponder weapon selection, I get worried. I.e. "No, not my shoe, not TIME rolled up, ...man, am I going to need an ecyclopedia for this?" If that happens, I'm calling someone else to deal with it. If it's big enough I can shoot it, then I'm out. Just, out. Gone, vamoose, scram, booked.
  17. Can't stand the things. They creep me out real bad.
  18. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Hmmm..spiders don't creep me out too bad, but you know what does? The harmless little enviromentally friendly earthworm. Man, I HATE those things!
  19. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, I'm going against the parameters of this post, because I don't hate spiders... in fact, I like them. I'm also a vegetarian who would never kill *anything* except when I'm physically threatened. (I put ants outside and didn't even spray wasp nests until I had kids.)
    But I've got a story you spider fearers will appreciate. (Heh, heh, heh...)
    One afternoon when I was a teenager, I awoke from an afternoon nap to find a spider sitting on my headboard, about 1 foot from my face. It was about the biggest kind you could find in those parts (New York), with a "wingspan" about as long as my index finger.
    I went off to get an empty coffee can so I could trap it and put it outside, but it kept eluding me. Every time I'd zig, it would zag, running across the floor. Finally, after about a minute (here's where it gets good), it stopped, turned around, looked me in the eye, and reared up, waving its two front legs at me in a "put up your dukes" stance. It had to be more scared of me than I was of it, and this "mano a mano" thing was so impressive that I left it alone for awhile, out of sheer respect and awe. After a few minutes, I snuck up on it again, trapped it and put it outside.
    Oh, by the way, do any of you "appreciate" praying mantises? Once, while walking through a field, I found a huge one and decided to pick it up. The rule of thumb is to pick up an animal behind the head, so that it can't bite you. I did that, and the mantis immediately spun its head around 180 degrees to stare at me and whipped its serrated front legs over its back to latch onto my finger. Didn't know they could do that! I was so surprised that I went "Aaaah!" and shook it right off. Whew.
    Okay... pleasant dreams, everyone! :meh: