1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would an Empress Para EQ help a Traynor TB100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basically Bob, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    At our practice location, unfortunately, I have been more or less been forced to use an older Traynor TB100 combo amp (it's a long story & first drama I have experienced with our band in more than twenty years). It sure is quite a downgrade from the AE112/Streamliner 600 rig that I used for practice, previously.

Please be patient with me. I have absolutely no experience with external DIs or effects at all.

In a nutshell: I own an Empress Para EQ and am wondering if I could use that, somehow, to improve the tone I am getting through the Traynor? The TB100 has an effects loop … could I run it through that? Will it bypass the combo’s EQ completely?

... or should I consider using a DI ... something like a Tone Hammer or Subway?

The TB100 stays at the practice location, so I am unable to try it out at home.

Your thoughts and suggestions would sure be appreciated. (re the Empress/TB100, not the drama ;))

(wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the effects forum)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    It has been a long time since I saw one of those. Going by memory I think no you will not be bypassing the EQ by being in the effects loop. As long as you don't try boosting the bass too much why not go ahead and try the pedal? Just bear in mind you don't have a lot of power to work with so it will bottom out if you try to boost the bass very much. Try using more as a cut for the aspect you don't like rather than as a boost. It sure won't hurt to try it.

3. Lipstick on a pig.
    Fishheadjoe

4. Basically Bob

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    :roflmao: that's kinda what I was thinkin' :roflmao:

... will probably try the pedal as bebass suggested ... if that doesn't work, I might try a sledge hammer.

5. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    I can't see how the Empress ParaEQ wouldn't help any pre-amp IF used appropriately.

Basically Bob and Thumper like this.
  6. Basically Bob

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Thanks for your input, Taylor16. That's encouraging. As far as appropriate use is concerned, I would be following the manual's recommendations and not pushing hard in any direction - just want to sweeten up the tone with more warmth and definition.

What would you consider to be inappropriate use?

7. Basically Bob

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Well, I tried the Empress with the TB100 this past Thursday and yes, there certainly was a significant improvement. The result was a richer, more defined tone that was noticeable by others in the band.

Snaxster likes this.
  8. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Bob. Congratulations. Well done!

By chance, yesterday I played my Empress ParaEQ for the first time since I got it in October. Though not for use with the same amp as your rehearsal amp, I got my ParaEQ to compensate for room resonances. It works perfectly for me. A deceptively simple-looking tool, it is powerful and effective. And it sounds good. Similar audio quality to the Empress Compressor; far above average for a pedal format processor.

Rock on.

Groove Doctor and Basically Bob like this.
  9. Basically Bob

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    I picked up a Mesa, Subway DI-Preamp, earlier this week - took it out to practice last night and ran it through the Effects return ... makes a HUGE difference!