1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would an Ibanez SR506 be a good choice if....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DT_Fan86, Apr 15, 2006.

1. DT_Fan86

DT_Fan86

Feb 19, 2006
    ...I were to play in the style of John Myung? I would buy his signature bass (Yamah RBXJM2) but those are too expensive for me so I'm looking for a more affordable one.

2. DT_Fan86

DT_Fan86

Feb 19, 2006
    Sorry for the double post. I'm new to this thread.

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Well.. at least you corrected your grammar in this post : )

IMO, yes..ish. He has a pretty middy sound, and you can def get that kind of tone out of that bass. For the money, theres probably not much better. Besides, Ibanez basses rock.

4. DT_Fan86

DT_Fan86

Feb 19, 2006
    I won't worry about tone too much. It's mostly a warm tone, but I'm just worried about how my hands will feel. Especially when your longest finger is almost exactly 3 inches.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I feel it'll do you fine. It's a bit on the narrow side, but IIRC, so is the Myung.

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

My longest finger's also just a bit over 3 inches (is that good or bad? Meh) and I can reach all around the 506 with SUPER ease.

24th fret on the B string? No problem.

It's a great bass.

7. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Ive heard of measuring other appendages, never fingers :)

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Another Dream Theater/John Myung fan!!!!!!!

9. DT_Fan86

DT_Fan86

Feb 19, 2006
    Yeah, there aren't too many fans in my area.

10. It has small spacing even for a sixer, so yes it will be good for you small hands.

lowsound

11. DT_Fan86

DT_Fan86

Feb 19, 2006
    Well that's a good thing!

12. DT_Fan86

DT_Fan86

Feb 19, 2006
    Another question, are the fret spacings the same on the 4 strings? Like reaching from fret #2 (F sharp) with your index finger to fret #5 (A natural) with your pinkie.

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

Yeah it is.

14. antman

antman

Apr 13, 2006
    On the topic on ibanez 6's, how does the sr1006 go for playability on the high frets? in the photo on the ibanex website, the 24th fret looks pretty far away from where the body starts from below the neck. (on the c string)

Attached Files:

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. Same 34" scale. That's why I love Ibanez ERB's.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The 23rd fret is comfortable to play, the 24th gets a little wierd sometimes, but I've never had a problem hitting it on any of my SR's.

17. steve21

steve21 Banned

That one's a 1006EFM (I personally wouldn't want an EFM due to maple body + maple top, I'd rather try to ship an EWN that has mahogany body + walnut top over from Japan) but that aside the SR1006 basses are neck thru, so it's pretty much heel-less construction.

But on my bolt-on 506 I can reach 24th fret on all the strings, even the B. Insane reach and playability, I'd expect better if not the same from the neck-thru model

18. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    hey hey.. I'm a DT fan as well.. Specially John Myung.. But dont like the yamaha signature for it's look, too futuristic for me.. I'm actually waiting for the warwick stage1 6 and a yamaha TRBJP2... still have to choose between the two, any feedback on both please?..!

If I won't be happy with the two I might try looking at the Ibanez BTB 6s

Cheers!

19. DT_Fan86

DT_Fan86

Feb 19, 2006
    I've tried the bass out at a local music store called Skip's Music. Um....did anyone have much trouble with the thin neck cramping your hand?

20. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    I love my mahogany 506...low action, fast playin...great sound